Abubakar Mehdi's Reviews > The Selfish Gene

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

I love reading books that challenge my worldview and compel me to change it. This book is an excellent work on Evolutionary biology, Genes, Behavioral biology and Natural selection, among many other fascinating topics. Dawkins is succinct, eloquent and a very intelligent tutor. He uses examples and metaphors to illustrate his point and to coalesce them all to form one unifying picture, of a universe, not in perfect harmony, but in tumult and constant change. The chapter on “Memes” blew me off absolutely; I would want my friends to read just that chapter even if they don’t read the whole book. His ideas are fascinating and logical, but his way of expressing and putting them in words is even better. What a shame that he got into the new atheist movement and all the bad publicity that came with it. As a scientist, I found him at the top of his game.

This is a very readable, entertaining and beautifully written book that I would recommend to any one who, like me, bunked their biology lectures back in school. There is a lot to learn from this book. The 30th anniversary edition is annotated and made up to date with additional chapters, so the older edition should be avoided.
Read it, let is rinse your brain, and repeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selfish Gene.

November 7, 2015 – Shelved
November 8, 2015 – Started Reading
November 11, 2015 –
page 90
25.0% "I have been reading this book on and off for quite a while now and I expected to be so engrossed and entertained by Dawkins. Its not an easy read for someone with little background in biology but the stuff about genetics and genes as the driving force in evolution of life is an amazing dimension, to say the least."
November 14, 2015 –
page 200
55.56% "“Genes are the primary policy-makers; brains are the executives. But as brains became more highly developed, they took over more and more of the actual policy decisions, using tricks like learning and simulation in doing so.""
November 15, 2015 –
page 250
69.44% "The survival value of the god meme in the meme pool results from its great psychological appeal. It provides a superficially plausible answer to deep and troubling questions about existence. It suggests that injustices in this world may be rectified in the next. The ‘everlasting arms’ hold out a cushion against our own inadequacies..."
November 15, 2015 –