Cheeky Cher's Reviews > The Serpent and the Moon: Two Rivals for the Love of a Renaissance King

The Serpent and the Moon by Princess Michael of Kent

bookshelves: nonfiction

4 stars - It was great. I loved it.

When I was twenty-one, I traveled from Vienna to London to study history, history of art, and interior design. I decorated my small apartment entirely in black and white, drove a black and white Mini, and acquired a black and white kitten. I had no real reason for adopting my monochrome lifestyle except that I imagined it chic and different. Then my mother told me about Diane de Poitiers, our ancestor, who famously styled her whole life - and her country - in black and white.

A rather engaging nonfiction book that reads much like a novel. How interesting that the author is related to both of the historical female powerhouses of their time, Diane de Poitiers and Catherine de Medici (Queen Hate and Wait). She also claims in her author’s note that Diane’s love story is the greatest in French royal history, and I would have to agree.

-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: He who inflames me has the power to extinguish me.

First Sentence: As the sun filtered through the autumn mist shrouding the harbor of Marseilles, three hundred cannons boomed from the ramparts of the chateau d’If and all the bells of the city rang out to announce the arrival of the papal flotilla.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Serpent and the Moon.

November 7, 2015 – Shelved