Timothy's Reviews > Valiant

Valiant by Jack Campbell

Jan 25, 2011

Read in May, 2009

While the shortest in terms of internal chronology, I found that Valiant was also the most enjoyable, as the focus for this novel was more about the depth of the events, as opposed to the width of events that's been happening up till now. You could say, quality over quantity of events. Nothing shows this change more than the battles themselves as they were depicted in this volume.

Another improvement (though still not quite perfect), was the human factor of this series. It's simple enough to just paint Geary as a fish out of water/King Arthur prototype, but when it comes to his background and his personality, it's still somewhat of a cliche. I have to admit, it's surprising that after four volumes, we have yet to know the name of the ship that was his previous command that led to his fame as 'Black Jack' Geary. In addition, the way the relationships are written is as clunky as ever, but not bad as it was written in Fearless, on the relationship of Geary and Rione.

Overall, the series is definitely heading in the right direction, as each successive volumes makes improvements over the previous book in terms of story, character, and entertainment value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valiant.