Sarah's Reviews > Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump by Winston Groom

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: library-books, read-in-2011
Read in February, 2011

This book was a fun, light and incredibly entertaining read. I haven't watched the movie, although I have heard a lot about it. Forrest's character was entirely lovable and served as a slap on the wrist for those of us who dare to underestimate the mentally challenged. I liked the simplicity of Forrest's character, especially as he went through life always trying to do the right thing, even though it would often land him in a great deal of trouble. His astonishing adventures which obviously made a jab at a quite a few important characters and events in American history, but especially his NASA space mission, friendship with a male orangutan named Sue and capture by a tribe of cannibals in New Guinea were particularly amusing. I couldn't help but burst into peals of laughter each time he said "I need to pee" in the most inappropriate situations. The simplicity of his character, evident in his lack of interest in money, and his eventual success in the shrimp industry left me with a goofy grin on my face by the end of the book even though he, sadly, wasn't very lucky in love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forrest Gump.