Kat's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, classics, uk-lit, fantasy, magic, dragons, 2012, re-reads, ya, favorite-author
Read 5 times. Last read June 11, 2012 to June 25, 2012.

The Hobbit is what really sparked my love of reading. I first came across this book at school, in the English departments private book-room, many years ago. For whatever reason on that fateful day, the door to that special room was open just a crack, the first time and only time i ever saw it like that, and it only took me a second to slip inside and shut the door silently behind myself. I only intended to have a quick look around, and enjoy the feeling of having a room full of great literature all to myself... when a small paperback adorned with a painting of a beautiful red dragon atop a pile of golden treasure caught my eye. I turned it over in my hand, wondering what on earth was a 'Hobbit' and how come i had never seen this book before. A moment later, with the stolen copy of the Hobbit hid snugly between my notebooks, I ran from the scene of the crime. Within the hour I was at home in my room, falling deeper and deeper into Middle-Earth... and discovering more than i ever could have dreamed of waiting for me there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

Quotes Kat Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

June 25, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 5, 2012 – Shelved as: ya
February 21, 2013 – Shelved as: favorite-author

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Re-reading... again. All those adds for the movies got to me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I haven't read it yet (or I might have when I was younger but I don't remember) but I really want to before the movie. We have a copy sitting our shelf ready to go.

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I always feel so excited for people when they tell me they haven't read one of my favorites... I get all nostalgic thinking back to how I felt the first time I read it! It is such a classic, and I think its a great idea to pick it up before the movie comes out!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

reading it again, it's one of my favorites