Karole Cozzo's Reviews > All the Feels

All the Feels by Danika Stone

Here are some cool things about this book, which I really, really enjoyed:

1) I’ve never been to a Con, but thanks to Stone, I sure feel like I have! The characters described, the diversity in fandoms and events represented, and the vivid and exciting depiction of scenes that went down there – I have to believe she hit the nail on the head. And it was so much fun to read about.
2) If you’ve ever been part of a fandom, you’ll get it…and love it. I appreciated Stone’s honesty in depicting the good, the bad, and the bizarre that goes into a fandom. And it was all just so relatable – the lingo, the habits, and the characters, they’re all there. My favorite aspect of this was when Liv discovers what Jo’s off-identity was really like. It was just so true to life and hilarious.
3) Let me say this – Xander, at first glance, is not my type. And at first I had a bit of a hard time getting to know the man behind the cravat and tails. I had a hard time deciphering where the character ended and the real person began. But the more glimpses he gave me of that real person, the more he won me over. What a good, cool, and unique person Xander is. In the end, I’m really glad I got to know him.
4) Liv’s transformation: in the beginning, as I believe is sometimes the case, the fandom was an escape from a bitter reality. And I wanted more for her; she sometimes frustrated me. I loved how in the end, it became more, it actually became a path to a better reality. I like the how, where, and why she emerged on the other side.
5) I doubt it was done in a purposeful manner, but I appreciate the amount of diversity Stone brought to this novel in terms of characters. There’s some ambiguity in terms of sexuality and gender norms and…it’s no big deal. It just is. The diversity is there without being thrown in your face. Well done.

Danika Stone is a great writer, and it’s my belief that so many people are going to relate to this book and its characters and devour it. If you’ve ever felt the pull of a fandom and the pull of a talented new writer, you’ll feel the pull of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Feels.

November 6, 2015 – Started Reading