Barb (Boxermommyreads)'s Reviews > Put a Ring On It

Put a Ring On It by Beth Kendrick

Nov 06, 2015

bookshelves: 2015

I received this book as part of a blog tour for Book Sparks and I admit, I primarily chose it based on the cover and the fact that it's
"A Girl's Best Friend" tour which seems perfect for my blog. This book is the 3rd in a series, and I was a tad hesitant to get into it because I have never read the first two. However, it didn't really seem to have much impact on what I read and I think they are basically companion novels anyways.

There were several things I liked about this book. I have been reading a lot of darker titles since Halloween just passed and it was nice being able to just dive into a chick lit novel and enjoy the ride without thinking too much. I absolutely love books set in small towns and Black Dog Bay has all the quirky characteristics I treasure. I enjoyed the main characters and Kendrick adds some humor in her writing which is fun and refreshing. It was nice to see some twists and turns play out in the plot which I didn't necessarily see coming and this is a great book for passing a rainy, dreary day.

Now to the main thing that bothered me and almost made this a 3 star read. The dog and the cover. Anyone who saw my updates knows that the dog didn't arrive until page 163 and although he was vital in the ending, he really didn't have a big part. Also, he is described as a large Mastiff mix. Now I know dogs come in all shapes and sizes, and I don't expect the cover dog to look exactly like described, but come on, the dog on the cover is NOTHING like a mastiff. The book is part of the Black Dog Bay series and I figured out there is a legend about a large black dog (I think a lab) that lovers visiting the town might see appear from time to time (think apparition here), but the cover dog doesn't look like that either. Now none of this really takes away from the plot, and the author herself may have had little say in the cover, but this is a book pet peeve of mine (can't you tell).

Overall, "Put A Ring On It" was an enjoyable read and I have already checked to see if my library has the first two in the series because I really want to learn more about this quiet little town. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic read with some humor interspersed. I have also read "The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service" by the same author a few years back and would recommend that one as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Put a Ring On It.

November 6, 2015 – Started Reading
November 6, 2015 – Shelved
November 6, 2015 –
page 23
8.13% "Is there a dog in this book? I seriously don't think there is a dog in this book...which I would be OK with if not for the ADORABLE dog on the cover. I call "False Advertising!" Does seem like it might be a cute book though."
November 9, 2015 –
page 165
58.3% "A dog appeared on page 163. At least a dog appeared, but is nothing like the dog on the cover. Rant over. (Maybe)"
November 9, 2015 – Finished Reading