Miss Page Turner's Reviews > Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-debut-author-challenge

So Amy and Roger, the protagonists of Morgan Matson’s debut novel, happen to know each other from childhood. They haven’t seen each other for years and still they get to spend a cross country road trip together. It could be fun to meet an old friend. But to be honest, isn’t that the most awkward position to be put into?
Here starts Amy and Roger’s story, together, as friends, and maybe even more than friends.

The trip’s goal is to transport the family’s car from California to Connecticut. The stops and route are strictly planned by Amy’s mother. But Amy and Roger ditch all the rules and make stops where they want, do what they feel like. And I simply loved to see them break free. People should do that more often, break free and out of their routine.

Both Amy and Roger have a lot of thoughts occupying their minds and emotions weighing down their hearts. There are moments that make you laugh out loud. In other moments you simply grief with them. We also learn some details about their families and friends. Especially Amy’s relationships to her mother and brother are important. There's also a great loss that she has to cope with.

The whole time you are rooting for Amy and Roger to fall in love. And I admired their personalities so much. The tension between them builds and their growing relationship with the variety of different feelings coming along on their road trip is just so enlightening. Amy and Roger meet many new people who are so much fun, but in the end it are the two of them who help each other find the right way.

A really cool bonus are playlists and cute drawings and photos of their road trip. How fun that Morgan Matson went on that road trip herself. I like that she also followed the way her characters take on their road trip. I immediately felt the need to pack a duffle bag, grab my camera and hit the road, too. AMY & ROGER’S EPIC DETOUR is a book you should totally read before you plan, or maybe not so consciously, plan to go on a road trip!

THE VERDICT

AMY & ROGER’S EPIC DETOUR – Detours have never been so much fun before. Morgan Matson wrote a book packed with LOL-worthy, sweet, adventurous and insightful moments!

A fun detour? Yes! It’s the contrast between doing the thing you are supposed to, following your heart and living the way you feel that makes AMY & ROGER’S EPIC DETOUR such a tempting read. This novel gifts you with the spirit of a fabulous road trip.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour.

January 25, 2011 – Shelved
page 290
May 12, 2011 –
page 344
May 12, 2011 – Finished Reading

Angel I also have this on my TBR list! I'm hoping I can start on it before Sunday! :)