Michele DeLuca's Reviews > Secrets of Artemis

Secrets of Artemis by C.K. Brooke

Nov 06, 2015

The "Secrets of Artemis" is the story of the coming of age of the Greek goddess Artemis, told through the imaginative lens of fantasy writer C.K. Brooke.
I wish I would have had something like this to read when I was in the 9th grade and trying to learn about Greek Mythology. I was never able to care much back then about the Greek gods and goddesses because their stories never touched my heart.
That all changed with this book, when the 16-year-old Artemis, goddess of the hunt, came to life for me, and the legendary details of her life were expanded upon through Brooke's capable storytelling.
The story of Artemis told throughout history is that she remained a virgin through the decree of her father Zeus, the King of the Gods, despite her great friendship with the giant, handsome and kind hunter Orion. But this story proposes that she and Orion were secret lovers despite her father's wishes.
Many of the characters of Greek mythology came to life for me in "Secrets of Artemis." I think this would be a great book to share with young people if you want to captivate them with the stories of the gods and goddesses worshiped at at time when civilization was young.
Like all successful young adult novels, it's an entertaining and satisfying read for adults as well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of Artemis.

Started Reading