Ashley's Reviews > The Iron Witch

The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney

Jan 25, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, young-adult-fantasy

I admit it, I read this book because the cover was pretty. That and because I like to give debut authors a chance.

There's nothing about this book that is bad, really, It's just not original. Nothing stood out to me as fresh, captivating, or tense. It was just bland. Our heroine, Donna, thinks too much, and thinks the same things over and over. We get the occasional journal entry, which I don't understand. What did that add? Why did we get the few journal entries when we did? Why did they disappear for the last half of the book?

In a world where alchemy is a regular practice and fey who have had their wings ripped off live among us, there should have been something fascinating about this book. And all I'm left with is the feeling that I just don't care. Oh, and that book two will include a fight for Donna's love between her loyal best friend and her quasi-boyfriend. That's how every post-Twilight YA urban fantasy goes, right?

But I will also remember that this is Karen Mahoney's first book, and that's an important factor to remember. I would assume with more books, the prose will be cleaner, more concise, and hopefully filled with a proper plot-driving tension.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Witch.

January 25, 2011 – Shelved
March 23, 2011 – Started Reading
March 23, 2011 –
page 66
March 27, 2011 –
page 123
March 28, 2011 –
page 167
55.85% "Still waiting for something to happen."
March 31, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
March 31, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult-fantasy

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Crosby Tsk, tsk. You know better than to judge a book by it's cover, right?
-Dad (Who has never done that in his life!)