Kathrynn's Reviews > Show No Mercy

Show No Mercy by Cindy Gerard

Feb 02, 2008

bookshelves: own, series-black_ops_gerard, 2008, romance-suspense, theme-former_military, reviewed
Recommended for: People that have read the Bodyguard Series by this author
Read in October, 2008

Thought this took awhile to get going, but once it did it became fast paced and hard to put down. I enjoyed reading about the secondary relationship that developed and would liked to have read more of their story than was in this book. Maybe they will still get their own story...

I think it needs to be said: This is a spin off from this author's Bodyguard Series AND the plot of this one is directly from the last book in that series. But, in order to understand that last book you need to have read earlier books in THAT series. (geeze) Bottom line, this should be #7 of the Bodyguard series, not the beginning of a new series. I don't think a person picking this book up and reading it without having read the Bodyguard series would understand or enjoy it as much. The Epilogue in this one even mentions E.D.E.N. and the famous cutthroat croquet...

Also, I now see why the author had the book series as "Black's Ops" on her Site. The leader and owner of the private team is Nathan Black.

There were a few things in this book that I thought could have been tightened up. Some repetition of previous info and a few too many (and too long) discussions about "what ifs." It took too long to get the book going!

The main characters were neat as were the secondary characters and I can't wait for the next one in this series to come out (October 21, 2008).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Show No Mercy.

10/02/2008 page 41
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Theresa I just started this one and you are SO right, Kathrynn. I am pretty dang lost because I've never read any of the previous books by this author. I assumed since it is listed as the start of a new series that it would be, you know, an actual new series, not a continuation of an existing series with a new series title. At the 122 page mark, this book is barely getting by at a 3-star rating because I'm confused and irritated.

Kathrynn What was the author thinking starting a new series. Maybe it was the publisher? Hope you give the Bodyguard series a chance one day. I enjoyed it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 13, 2009 06:58AM) (new)

I disagree with your comment that someone would be lost if they hadn't read the Bodyguard series first. I never read the Bodyguard series, and I had no trouble getting into this one at all. I just figured the two characters had a past, and it didn't bother me that I didn't know all the details of it. I picked up bits and pieces along the way and really enjoyed the book. Maybe the fact that I sometimes read mysteries, helped me to plunge in without all the background info on the those characters. Mystery books often dump you in the middle of something you know nothing about, and you have to piece things together. I think that's part of why I found the story to be intriguing.
Just for the record...I gave this book 5 stars, the 2nd book in the series only 3 stars, and the 3rd book got 4 stars.

Theresa Suzann, I didn't like this book. If I could have given it 2-1/2 stars, I would have. I didn't believe in their "love" - it seemed to come out of left field. Yes, maybe the startings of that love had started before this book, but I didn't get to read that. There were repeated references to the fact that they knew each other in the past and I kept waiting for a flashback, but I just had to guess instead. I have no idea how long the heroine knew the hero before or they had kissed or made love or whatever. It was too vague and the background needed to be filled in more.

I was extremely irritated that this book was labeled as a new series when it is just a continuation of the first series (Bodyguards) with a new name.

It's great that you were able to fill in the blanks and you liked it, but for this reader, Kathrynn is right on the money. I just wish I had read her review before I spent money on this book.

I'm fairly confident that if I had read the Bodyguard series or at least the one featuring Dallas and Amy that I would have probably enjoyed this book more. As it was, I gave it three stars only because I liked the secondary romance, liked Johnny and Doc, and I like the heroine's fun personality.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I left another comment under your review. No sense repeating it again here...check it out if you haven't seen it already. ;)