Christina McMullen's Reviews > Regeneration X

Regeneration X by Ellison Blackburn

I am a huge fan of diversity within established genres, especially sci-fi. Regeneration X is a subtle yet welcome deviation from the realm of space ships, robots, and laser guns.

Set in the very near future, I do admit to raising an eyebrow at some of the author's predictions. I can accept that in ten years we might have the technology to regenerate ourselves on a cellular level and cybernetic implants are already in use as treatment for medical conditions,but I am not quite convinced that we as a nation will end poverty within the next century, let alone the next decade.

Charley was a fascinating character. On many levels, I related to her thoughts and concerns about growing complacent with life as middle age sets in and I've often had the same worries about making memories vs simply existing. I have to wonder which path I would choose if the option of regeneration was open to me. Honestly, I'd likely go for the cybernetics, and I think that's what I loved most about this story: it made me think.

I read often and I read almost exclusively for pleasure. While there are many intelligent sci-fi and fantasy books that have given me reason to pause and consider my worldviews, few have given me the same level of introspection as this tale. In a way, the ending (which I will not spoil) is brilliant in the manner in which it addresses the reader. Highly recommended to readers of any genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Regeneration X.

Started Reading