Lisa's Reviews > The Historian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jan 24, 2011

bookshelves: horror-gothic, hearteyes, vampires
Read from February 05 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

I'm not a big reader in the horror genre. The only books I can recall remember and attaching significance to were Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles – and, now, The Historian.

Dracula, in this mode, casts a shadow over the lives the main characters. We so often hear about him, are given very real demonstrations of his power, yet he remains out of our grasp. One of the complaints I would have about the novel is that he is deposed of too quickly – I would have liked more tension in that moment, more time to actually meet this figure.

The characters are well-crafted and feel real, even if we only know them shallowly. I found myself becoming especially attached to the narrator, Rossi, Barley, and Helen. I didn't find the mystery dull in the slightest, but perhaps I'm more attuned to mysteries where knowledge, not danger creates suspense.

Perhaps a sign of a great book is a desire to know more – not something as straightforward as a sequel or prequel, but other books about Dracula and vampires, to learn more about the real historical facts behind the story and to find out more about the characters. The Historian inspires all of those in me.

Thoroughly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.