John Maberry's Reviews > Conflicted Hearts: A Daughter's Quest for Solace from Emotional Guilt

Conflicted Hearts by D.G. Kaye

Nov 04, 2015

bookshelves: memoir

It takes courage to write a memoir and, in the jargon of a few decades ago, "let it all hang out. I've been there and done that, myself. It's a heartfelt chronicle of someone who eventually overcame the control that a narcissistic mother exercised over her family--husband and children alike. That brought much pain and emotional turmoil to the family, especially the author. She suffered from neglect and disdain, at the same time felt what some might think misplaced guilt. Perhaps coming from hearing things she shouldn't, as this snippet reveals: "[M]uch was said around us children under the assumption that we weren't listening...Well I was listening" Too well, it seems, when her mother demanded much and offered little. While it may not have the gravitas or the literary skill of Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, few memoirs do--my own included. It's still well worth reading the narrative that D.G. Kaye offers which shows how one can finally have that happy and successful life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conflicted Hearts.

November 4, 2015 – Shelved