Andrew Backs's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

1944770
Jan 24, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult-titles

I was walking around at work and I saw this title sitting on a pile of books that were being designated to a recycling bin in the sky. I couldn't hel...moreI was walking around at work and I saw this title sitting on a pile of books that were being designated to a recycling bin in the sky. I couldn't help myself. I know that everyone was required to read this book growing up, but surprisingly I was not. I admittedly had no idea what the book was about, but I felt obligated to save this paperback from recycling obscurity.

I really, really enjoyed this story. To me it read like a childhood fantasy. An island with yourself and a bunch of other kids your age without adult supervision. I felt the adult themes of the book really played out well despite the youth of the characters. The ending was brutal and violent, which did catch me a little off guard, but it really made me think about the loss of innocence and how precious that can be.

Despite the ending, I still think this book would read well for high schoolers and advanced middle school readers. I do think younger audiences should have conversations about what is going on however, to make sure they are overwhelmed or disgusted by what is going on. I think adults can really get into this book too.

I read in the introduction of the book that the author had intended the story to be a reflection of the times. While this reflection is probably a little dated, I still think the story will give readers an opportunity to reflect on the larger aspects of the story.

I'd highly recommend this book to anyone, male or female, young or old, and I would not think twice. If you haven't read this one, or perhaps it has been a few years, I would say that you should pick this book up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.