Elle's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jan 24, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopia-and-sci-fi, first-of-series, 2011-read, meh, everyone-loved-it-but-me, elles-reviews
Read from April 26 to May 28, 2011

Let’s all gather round and pretend that Lauren Oliver is a surgeon. A highly skilled, kick-ass champion of a surgeon.

Now, let's assume that Delirium is the patient.

And if these statements are true, then the characters are the amoebas that are aggressively attacking the patient and the plot is the brain tumour that will bring it to its tragic end.

Because let's be honest, this book was a bad idea.

It would be as if I woke up tomorrow and decided it was a terrific stroke of genius to wear my purple sombrero to the office. (Yes I do have one)

I am willing to let this one slide, however. Because I'm a forgiving individual and I want Lauren Oliver to succeed and make embarrassing amounts of money. I want this for her because I adored Before I Fall and I suspect she has a few more of the likes of those left in her back pocket before she generates any more of this garbage. Right Dr. Oliver?

And with that promise in mind, I am GENEROUSLY awarding 2 stars: one for the writing, and one for the... uh... because that's just how I roll, bitches.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

what say you on this?

message 2: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes i couldn't finish this... but i still have it on my shelf and every now and then wonder if me giving up (around page 78) was too hasty...

message 3: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle I finished read this but let me just say one thing: Delirium was not worth 448 pages of paper! I think I really need to read Before I Fall, that way I can better appreciate Oliver's writing style.

Anjana Your reviews are hilarious! lol.

Loveliest Evaris Ah, Lol... I love that Demotivational Poster! xD

Jeanna I really love that you have a bookshelf entitled "everyone loved it but me." Awesome. (Your review was good too.)

Morgan Although I disagree with you about Delirium (maybe thats because its my first dystopian novel) your review was still really funny.

Nikki This made me laugh! This review is awesome!

Brandi Lol, totally agree. I'm really hoping she gets this awfulness over with and gets back to more like Before I Fall.

message 10: by Reem (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reem how could you say it was a bad idea!

Oksana  *Bookaholic* The last sentence had me LOL