Riikka's Reviews > Kenraalin labyrintti

Kenraalin labyrintti by Gabriel García Márquez

Jan 24, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, f-novels, language-finnish, a-book, where-given-away, year-read-in-2012, rating-2-stars, b-adults
Read from January 07 to February 18, 2012

To make it short, I didn't really like this book. Or rather, this reading experience wasn't the most pleasing one. It might have been because I didn't pick this book from my bookshelf at the right time, but I still doubt anything could have made me love it.

When I was younger, I read One Hundred Years of Solitude and loved it. I still often list it as one of my favorite books, even tough it's years ago I read it an I really should reread it. So that might have set quite a hight expectations for this book. An as this is so very different from the OHYoS, it was, especially in the beginning very shocking. But that's the type of shock you get over very quickly. What bothered me more was that the story was running forward super fast and jumping all over the place. That made it really hard for me to keep track of all the people and the events, especially as I have he habit of reading in small bites while commuting or before going to sleep. It was very frustrating and didn't make the reading enjoyable. That's also why it took me so long to finish the book

To give this book some credit, it was, in many ways an interesting story. As a Finn I've never known that much of the history of Southern America so reading this book was definitely a learning experience. And lets face it Simón Bolívars life was damn interesting, including this last trip. But what can I say, this book just wasn't for me, not at least at this point of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kenraalin labyrintti.

05/23/2017 marked as: read