tonya.'s Reviews > Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Jan 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, ya, music-centric, contemporary
Read from January 24 to 25, 2011

This was definitely not the fluffy, feel good read I was looking for, but it was cute.

Cute might be the highest praise I can give it, actually.

I liked the characters--both Amy and Roger were relateable and realistic characters. Their dynamic was easy and believable and, eventually, fun. They were... cute. I liked the road trip aspect; it was fun to explore the country through Amy and Roger's eyes. The little drawings and scrapbook pages and playlists added to the experience and were--you betcha!--cute.

(And I'll be honest, I might be a little overly fond of Roger based on his musical taste alone. He's my kind of boy.)

(I should add that while I am attracted to his taste in music, he is otherwise relegated to my Creepy Stalker Ex file. I get that you wanted some answers, dude, but stalking your ex-girlfriend across the country when she won't answer your phone call? Homie don't play that. This is why restraining orders exist, sir.)

But the ending fell flat to me. The explanation of why Amy felt her father's death was her fault felt anticlimactic, as did her reunion with her brother. We didn't even get any resolution between Amy and her mother. I get that maybe the author didn't want to tie up every detail, but I was left with an overall feeling of "...that's it?" at the end. It all seemed a little rushed and unfinished.

(Also, the way it ended with Roger? I know what the author was trying to convey, but I don't think it came across right. It seemed like a major brush off. Although, perhaps one day she'll miss one of his calls and wake up to him peering through her window. Happy ending for everyone.)

Cute read, fun at times and heavy at others. Not bad, just not as good as it maybe could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour.

01/24/2011
21.0% "Really loving this so far. I love the road trip aspect, and the playlists and scrapbook pages. even though there are some heavy aspects lurking in the background, it seems like it's going to be a fun read. although i did scrunch up my face when she said San Fran. pet peeve, hee."
01/24/2011
41.0% "I'm still really enjoying this, I like the way we get to see little snippets of before intermingled with now, but it seems like the pace has slowed down quite a bit. Could just be that I'm only getting to read in snatches."
01/25/2011
85.0% "Why is every book I read lately about death? Jesus. The pace picked up a lot on this last leg. I'm loving all the details we get about each stop they make, I feel like I'm experiencing it all with them. And the playlists. I'm in love with Roger for the playlists alone."
show 1 hidden update…