Erika's Reviews > The Other Side of Life

The Other Side of Life by Jess C. Scott

Jan 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, fiction, fantasy, young-adult

This is one of those books that for me is really hard to pinpoint my rating. Most of this book was “just not for me”. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and a hard time getting into the plot. It’s a good story and fairly well written too. It’s actually a really fast-paced story but since I couldn’t get into it that made it feel like it took forever to get through. There was nothing I really hated about it either so I wonder why I had such trouble. Looking at the ratings and reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, which are all really positive, I know I’m in the minority here. That doesn’t leave me much to say about the book. There were parts of it that I thought were really beautiful and I think that’s what kept me going. The love story between Anya and Nin was gorgeous. The elven poetry was lovely. And the ending scene was dazzling. If you like elves or cyberpunk I would recommend you try it out despite my unfortunate happenstance with not being able to get into it. Perhaps it wasn’t for me but you’d end up really loving it. 2.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Life.