Christine's Reviews > Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

I do not normally finish biographies... this one kept me enthralled

I am a little disturbed as a woman about why it was fascinating.

Let's be clear: Catherine the Great did everything I previously knew about Russia - and It's not like the book does not give her non romantic accomplishments full credit.

But he spends a lot of titillating words into her lovers. I loved those parts, but I I have to wonder if a king and his mistresses would have gotten the same proportion of coverage in a biographical account.

I'd actually like it if it did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine the Great.

Quotes Christine Liked

Robert K. Massie
“She sent me a bottle with a liquid composed of lemon juice, egg white and French brandy. In a few days my sunburn disappeared and since then I have always used this mixture. One”
Robert K. Massie, Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman

Robert K. Massie
“I would say about myself that I was a true gentleman with a mind more male than female, but, together with this, I was anything but masculine and, combined with the mind and character of a man, I possessed the attractions of a loveable woman. May I be pardoned for offering this candid expression of my feelings instead of trying to cover them a veil of false modesty. This”
Robert K. Massie, Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman