Susan May's Reviews > The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Jan 24, 2011

bookshelves: 2011

This isn't a big book, but it's one of my fave Stephen King books. It's brilliantly written and I think any lost-in-the-woods book will pale against it. King keeps his "I digress" waffling moments out of this one. Don't get me wrong I love his waffling most of the time ... it makes for great characters.

The ominous feeling of the little girl being stalked by something unknown is so powerful.

I read this in one sitting. Any reader who thinks Stephen King isn't a literary genius should read this book. This man is never more formidable when he is writing in a small set with one character. This book should be studied in schools.

Also, there's a moral. Don't wander off on paths in the woods, kiddies! Bad things can happen. Listen to your parents, too. Or bad things will happen. lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

January 24, 2011 – Shelved
October 1, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
October 22, 2011 – Started Reading
October 22, 2011 – Finished Reading

Susan May Carol, thanks for your like. Have you read this book? I loved it. I think it is genius and I read in one sitting. I'd better put up a review actually.

message 2: by E. (new) - added it

E. This is one of the few King books I haven't read (no DT series..yet)
Your review has encouraged me to get with it and read it!

Susan May E. wrote: "This is one of the few King books I haven't read (no DT series..yet)
Your review has encouraged me to get with it and read it!"

Yes, definitely read it. I loved it. It's a small book for King and not well known, but one of my faves of his.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Susan, nice review. You said. lot in a few words. What King book would you recommend for a King virgin?

message 5: by Madelon (new)

Madelon Hi Susan,

I read THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON when it first hit the bookshelves. It is a remarkable book. If memory serves, I too read it all in one setting. By King's account the story came to him after attending a Boston Red Sox game so he wrote it all in one sitting (again if memory serves).

King is a genius storyteller and will certainly garner a place in history.

message 6: by Madelon (new)

Madelon Christine wrote: "Susan, nice review. You said. lot in a few words. What King book would you recommend for a King virgin?"

Hi Christine,

As a long-time fan of King, I would recommend that you start at the beginning and work your way through all of his novels, books of short stories, and books of novellas. King writes a bit of everything. If you enjoy fantasty, perhaps The Dark Tower series, starting with THE GUNSLINGER, is for you.

Of his more recent works, DUMA KEY and LISEY'S STORY have some supernatural elements woven into highly believable stories.

For the most part, pick a book, any book, and you won't be disappointed.

Madelon

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Hey, thanks, Madelon. His books are such tomes, I would not possibly get thru them all and have time to read my favorites, but I feel I should try one or two. I will take a look at the two more recent ones you recommend!!

Carol I'm now wondering if I would have liked this better reading instead of listening to it. Hmmmmm?

Susan May Madelon wrote: "Christine wrote: "Susan, nice review. You said. lot in a few words. What King book would you recommend for a King virgin?"

Hi Christine,

As a long-time fan of King, I would recommend that you sta..."

Actually, the only Stephen King book/series I can't handle is The Dark Tower series. I only read the first one a few months ago and I thought it was so boring. Christine, I think you would enjoy The Bill Hodges Trilogy, his latest. So you start with Mr Mercedes and then the next book which was just released was Finders Keepers. Although in saying that, Mr Mercedes is good but really becomes corny and silly at the end. I know you won't like that part. One of my very, very fave books of his is 11/22/63. It is a remarkable time travel book that he did a lot of research to write, about the killing of JFK and a guy trying to go back in time to avert it and thus change all that is wrong in history. However, in saying all that The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is truly a remarkable book and King at his finest in storytelling. You must though forgive his rambling moments (although in this book there isn't many.). He's very sharp in his writing and his characterizations are amazing. You know the characters. They feel real. I will be interested to hear what you think of the first book of his you read. Definitely, though I think Mr Mercedes to start. It's closer to what you normally read, I think.

Susan May Carol wrote: "I'm now wondering if I would have liked this better reading instead of listening to it. Hmmmmm?"

I can't handle listening to books I've realised. So you should read this. I'm sure I wouldn't like to listen to it. King's voice is too distinct on the page.

Susan May Christine wrote: "Susan, nice review. You said. lot in a few words. What King book would you recommend for a King virgin?"

Thank you very much. I thought I'd better write something quickly because I hadn't bothered before and I do love this book so much.

Susan May Madelon wrote: "Hi Susan,

You are s right, Madelon. He is an inspiration to me. I've grown up reading him. Read Carrie when it first came out. That's how old I am. lol

message 13: by Christine (last edited Sep 06, 2015 06:03AM) (new)

Christine Hey, don't be calling yourself old as what would that make me?

Thanks for the King tips, Susan. I feel like I should try him. I will mull over your and Madelon's choices. I do kind of like time travel.

message 14: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Jane Great Review Susan! I have never heard of this book but I will check it out!

Oh Christine what a difficult question, I am a huge King fan and I would really have a good think about what to suggest to you.
I agree with Susan about The dark Tower Series they didn't do much for me at all either!

Carol Christine. I agree on King's 11/22/63. One of my favorites, and it sounds like we're both baby boomers, lol.

message 16: by Christine (new)

Christine I am a boomer, Carol.

AJ, I am curious as to what you would recommend too, King-wise.

message 17: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat Christine wrote: "Hey, don't be calling yourself old as what would that make me?

Christine - you have not read Stephen King???!!! Get outta here! Read this book about Tom Gordon as your first. Good read, not too supernatural, and involves baseball. Stephen is a huge baseball fan - Red Soxs I believe.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine Thanks, Pat!

Susan May Yes, I agree with Pat. This is a gr8 book to start with & now I think about it, Chris, have you been living under a rock???

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine No, his stuff in general looks too horror-y and too dang looooong!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Wonderful review, Susan. I haven't read a lot of the King's books but this really appeals to me especially with that cover.^^

message 22: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat Also recommend The Mist - great novella.

Susan May Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Wonderful review, Susan. I haven't read a lot of the King's books but this really appeals to me especially with that cover.^^"

AJ, it's a totally best kept secret of a Stephen King book. I wish every King fan to read this book. This shows what a great writer he is. I know some think he's just a hack of a writer, but this one is so beautifully crafted, it wows you.

Susan May Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

message 25: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Jane Christine wrote: "I am a boomer, Carol.

AJ, I am curious as to what you would recommend too, King-wise."

I understand what you are saying about King about whole horror thing but he has written some books that are more suspense than anything and/or creepy.

I just have to find a moment for my brain to think of one that would be right for you. It will just hit me when I least expect it to and I promise to let you know as soon as it happens! ;-)

Susan May Amanda wrote: "Christine wrote: "I am a boomer, Carol.

AJ, I am curious as to what you would recommend too, King-wise."

I love this whole conversation about what book to recommend to a Stephen King virgin. It's fascinating. There are so many to choose from. That's a sign of a true prolific master.

Melissa Great review! I read this too long ago. I think I was too young to appreciate it. I should read it again.

message 28: by Madelon (new)

Madelon Susan wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm now wondering if I would have liked this better reading instead of listening to it. Hmmmmm?"

I enjoy listening to books after I have read them. I have listened to several of King's Dark Tower series, which he reads. Since listening to him read his own work, and having been to two readings he's done, I'm afraid I hear him reading all his books in my head. I actually like that! Who better to emphasize the nuances in a book than the author?

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine Madelon, I had that experience with one of my favorite authors Brian Freeman. I went to a reading of his and it was just terrific.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Amanda wrote: "Christine wrote: "I am a boomer, Carol.

AJ, I am curious as to what you would recommend too, King-wise."

I'm holding you to that, AJ.

Susan May Melissa wrote: "Great review! I read this too long ago. I think I was too young to appreciate it. I should read it again."

You should, Melissa, I think you would really get an appreciation of his talent after all the books you've read now.

Susan May Madelon wrote: "Susan wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm now wondering if I would have liked this better reading instead of listening to it. Hmmmmm?"

I can't handle listening to books I've realised. So you should read th..."

Oh, Madelon, I would listen to him read his own books for sure. I've listened to practically everything I can find on Youtube and podcast where he's interviewed or is talking. He's so smart when it comes to the art of writing.

I love this one minute grab of a speech with advice to beginning writers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqp7A...

Whenever I feel like I'm writing rubbish, I just think, well this is just another piece of terrible work to inspire up and coming writers. So what does it matter? lol

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Susan wrote: "Madelon wrote: "Susan wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm now wondering if I would have liked this better reading instead of listening to it. Hmmmmm?"

I can't handle listening to books I've realised. So yo..."

Susan, I have to think King is your all time favorite author by a mile?

message 34: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

I know I must have read The Mist, but I can't remember it. I know there was a film. What collection was The Mist in, Pat?"

Danse Macabre was the collection but The Mist has been released as a single. I own both!!!

Susan May Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

Dans..."

But wasn't Danse Macabre his non-fiction book on horror films? Is the Mist in there. I've got that book. I don't remember there being a short story in there. Must take a look.

Susan May Christine wrote: "Susan wrote: "Madelon wrote: "Susan wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm now wondering if I would have liked this better reading instead of listening to it. Hmmmmm?"

I can't handle listening to books I've r..."

I think for me, Chris, I read him in my late teens, and then I never stopped. He made horror commercial. As an author, I aspire to do what he did, which is write across the dark thriller genre and not write in the same sub-genre. He writes everything and I love that. I'm the same. I couldn't just write about serial killers, or time travel or ghosts or people with special powers. I want to travel around and explore ideas like he did and does. So he is an inspiration in that.

However, my fave writers along with him are Arthur C. Clarke, John Wyndham, Daphne Du Maurier, love Gone With The Wind, so Margaret Mitchell, H.G. Wells (Gosh, I love H.G. Wells) and recently Caroline Kepnes with YOU. I read so much its hard to find a writer who is your favorite. You must have the same problem. But King is certainly a unique creative force in the way his mind works.

message 37: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

Ooops! It was Skeleton Crew that had The Mist. When you're right, you're right!!!

Susan May Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

Yeah, look at me, the Stephen King expert. lol. Skeleton Krew! I love his short stories. Sadly when I moved a few years back I gave away all my hard cover books and I had a lot of his short story collections. I only kept Danse Macabre because I liked a quote in it.

message 39: by Madelon (new)

Madelon Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

Dans..."

DANSE MACABRE is a non-fiction book that King wrote, early on, about the horror genre... film, books, comics, etc

message 40: by Pat (last edited Sep 08, 2015 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

I have done the same over the years. It gets hard to keep lugging books around.

p.s. I kept my hardcover book of Danse Macabre because I am convinced it has The Mist in it! LOL! I've been told I am stubborn!!!

message 41: by Teresa C. (new)

Teresa C. (Chi_DMB) Susan, I absolutely LOVE the DT series. Try starting with Wizard and Glass. It is Roland's back story. I just adore Roland.

Susan May Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Susan wrote: "Pat wrote: "Also recommend The Mist - great novella."

That is too funny, Pat. I wish I'd kept a couple of more books. Now I have a huge pile of books again thanks to the generous publishers. I keep giving them away when I'm done, but still they seem to breed on the bookshelves.

Susan May Teresa wrote: "Susan, I absolutely LOVE the DT series. Try starting with Wizard and Glass. It is Roland's back story. I just adore Roland."
Teresa, I really struggled with The Gunslinger, so I haven't read anymore. What did you think of The Gunslinger?

message 44: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Jane Christine wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Christine wrote: "I am a boomer, Carol.

AJ, I am curious as to what you would recommend too, King-wise."

I understand what you are saying about King about whole horror thing but h..."

No problem sweetie :)

message 45: by Teresa C. (new)

Teresa C. (Chi_DMB) Susan wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Susan, I absolutely LOVE the DT series. Try starting with Wizard and Glass. It is Roland's back story. I just adore Roland."
Teresa, I really struggled with The Gunslinger, so I have..."
I admit: reading the Gunslinger was a bit like walking through about two feet of water, but I loved the moment I finished it was really able to "dig in" to the next volumes. Trust me, Wizard and Glass (#4) and the volumes after (especially Wolves of the Calla) are SO worth it.

Susan May Teresa wrote: "Susan wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Susan, I absolutely LOVE the DT series. Try starting with Wizard and Glass. It is Roland's back story. I just adore Roland."
Teresa, I really struggled with The Gunslin..."

Well on your recommendation Teresa, I will give the next ones a go. I hate missing out on a King book. I've only missed a couple, which I'm trying to get back to, so I've read them all. He's so prolific!

Theresa Loves Books I was warned about book 1 of the DT Series, so I didn't expect much, but wanted to start at the beginning and trudged through anyway (my OCD as it pertains to reading). However, book 2 is my favorite and the series takes off from there. I definitely recommend revisiting those. But read them in order.

Susan May Theresa wrote: "I was warned about book 1 of the DT Series, so I didn't expect much, but wanted to start at the beginning and trudged through anyway (my OCD as it pertains to reading). However, book 2 is my favori..."

Okay, then, Theresa, I am convinced. I shall definitely read based on your recommendation. Thanks so much. :) xo

Theresa Loves Books Haha, I was really co-signing what the other ladies said. Book one is boring and I only got through it because I had read a ton of reviews beforehand and everyone said the series picks up in book 2. Supposedly when King wrote book one is was not supposed to be a series. It was later that he decided to turn it into one and make it more interesting.

message 50: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse and if you don't have parents? ha ha! Then I should listen to....'my trusting friends'?? :)

Great review!!!!!!!!! Happy week-end you lovely woman!!!!!

« previous 1