RE de Leon's Reviews > Noli Me Tangere

Noli Me Tangere by José Rizal

Jan 24, 2011

bookshelves: currently-reading, filipiniana, filipino, history-asia, novels, history-philippines, translations, colonial-experience, hispanic-era-philippines, rizaliana
Recommended to RE by: Ilia Uy, Tina Matanguihan
Recommended for: Filipinos who want to appreciate Rizal in a translation that captures his satiric humor

The Bookmark/Locsin Translation of Noli Me Tangere (aka "The Social Cancer") is my 200th BookReads book! :D

I've sorta been adding random picks from my shelves all this time (and logging in all the new acquisitions), but I've made a tradition of marking the hundred-multiple marks by picking special books. And for 200, it's good ol' Pepe.

I've been thinking for a while that I ought to do a four-way translation review of Noli, since enjoying it is infamously translator-dependent. The four key translations being: Derbyshire, Guererro, Locsin/Bookmark, and the new Penguin/International edition. I now have copies of the three newer translations, and I'm hoping F.Sionil Jose's La Solidaridad Bookstore will still have copies of the Derbyshire translations.

A note on these translations: if you are NOT a Filipino, then I highly recommend you read the Penguin edition instead of any other. That translation was specifically 'written' with a modern international audience in mind, and will be the most helpful if you're not familiar with the specifics of the place and era that serve as a setting for the book; a familiarity of that setting is something Filipinos will often take for granted, so they may recommend the Locsin or Guerrero translations to you. Do yourself a favor: go for Penguin.

For Filipino readers, however, the Locsin translations are said to be an exceptional translation, notable for being able to capture the humour of the novel. Until now, I've had a greater appreciation of Rizal's sequel, El Filibusterismo. Noli seeming too melodramatic. I'm hopeful Locsin will give me a new appreciation of the novel Rizal considered far superior between the two.

I should add one more thing before closing this pre-reading note: I am thankful to Goodreads for the fact that I recognized this edition as the Locsin edition at all! I'd kept hearing that the Locsin translations were pretty good, and went around bookstores asking for them. (They are now rare.) Because of Goodreads Philippines meetings, I finally realized that the Locsin editions of Noli were the ones I thought of as the "Bookmark" editions. I had noticed the publisher, but not the translator. As it turned out, they were available in a second hand book shelf I knew about in La Union. I promptly marched over and picked up my copy of the "Locsin/Bookmark" Noli and Fili.

And now I'm about to start reading Rizal. See you when I get to the the back cover. :D

RE de Leon
Beginning Noli Me Tangere by Jose P. Rizal (trans. Soledad Lacson-Locsin)

Agoo, La Union
23.43 PM January 24, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noli Me Tangere.

January 24, 2011 – Started Reading
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: translations
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: colonial-experience
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: hispanic-era-philippines
January 24, 2011 – Shelved as: rizaliana
January 24, 2011 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)

Kaion Thank you for the translation advice. :)