Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker by Leah Remini
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1053760
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: read-2015

I'm going to admit. When I heard the this book was coming out I was curious and then I thought..so why did she stay in that religion so long if it's so crazy? Is she nuts?
Palm Springs commercial photography

I'm so damn nosey about stuff like this though. I want to know the secrets without having to enter into the realm of the crazy.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Shut up, Xenu. My ass is broke so I can't fork over enough dough for you anyways. Plus, I'm a bit on the big mouth side like Leah Remini...but think the southern version of her.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Upon starting this book, one thing stands out. I REALLY like Leah Remini. She comes across as telling the truth. At first it's about her growing up and entering into the church. Her mom is a flower child and gets interested in Scientology and eventually brings Leah and her sister into the group.
The girls and their mom end up in Florida but Leah is pretty much a girl that is not going to keep her mouth shut. *fist bumps* So she ends up getting in trouble.
Palm Springs commercial photography
The church wants she and her sister punished but mom steps in and they all end up being sent out to LA. The story goes into the tryouts and shows that Leah was on, including her time on "The King of Queens".
Throughout Leah's story she is still invested in the church, even when she questions the Kool-Aid drinking she still sees the good that came from being in this religion.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Then she gets to meet the big whhoooohaa himself. Tom Cruise. (after she donates a million to the church)
Palm Springs commercial photography

She ends up being invited to "the Wedding of the Century" *gag* and finds out that Cruise and company want her to invite her friends Jennifer Lopez and her then husband Marc Anthony. I never did figure out what the whole deal with this was. I don't think Leah did either but it's seriously some frigged up stuff. (I'm not spoiling on the good stuff)

Leah starts questioning the religion and they sure as shit don't like it. Writing reports on grown ups that act badly? Give me a frigging break. Having to do cleaning toilet duty and other punishments...as a fucking adult.

I would like to have a few things clarified. I wouldn't mind Jennifer Lopez backing up her friend if she wants her believed. I want to know where the hell the main guy's wife is. I want to know why any religion would pretty much bend over and kiss Tom Cruise's ass? Why does he have so much power? Because I'm telling you Scientology guys one thing...If you guys are wanting to impress people with how "clear" you guys are and how much better you are than all of us lower class people, you are choosing the wrong man for the job.
Palm Springs commercial photography

I would also love to know more about this situation.
Palm Springs commercial photography

But we aren't going to get that are we? Because I almost felt an underlying fear from Remini's words in this book. She didn't mind telling some but I don't think she can tell all.

For my final verdict. I ended up believing most of what Leah Remini is saying. She admits to being loud, rude and whatever is thrown at her. She gives no shits.
I wish her well. I hope she makes millions of dollars and rubs their faces in it that they ain't getting any of her money any more.
Get your freak on girlie.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Booksource: I had a copy gifted to me by a most awesomeness of friends. Thank you so much!

My thoughts pre-reading:

For the love of Tom Cruise! Give me this book!

Chicago commercial photographers

Palm Springs commercial photography

Sh3lly's review is completely awesome. I should have just copied and pasted her's because she does tell everything perfectly!

358 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troublemaker.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

November 2, 2015 – Shelved
November 8, 2015 – Started Reading
November 8, 2015 –
page 40
17.54% "I decided I needed leg warmers in every color. I told the neighborhood boys I'd give a hickey to anyone who stole leg warmers for me from the Chinese vendors.\n Palm Springs commercial photography\n If this keeps up this book is getting five stars."
November 8, 2015 –
page 211
92.54% "Being a Scientologist means you are responsible for all the bad things that happen to you. (and anything good that was happening was due to the church)\n Palm Springs commercial photography\n \n Seems legit."
November 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)


message 1: by Brightness (new)

Brightness Did you see her Dateline interview? (I think it was Dateline. I watched it online)


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Brightness wrote: "Did you see her Dateline interview? (I think it was Dateline. I watched it online)"

I just saw a preview for it. She is everywhere right now. I must watch that one.


message 3: by Brightness (new)

Brightness Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Brightness wrote: "Did you see her Dateline interview? (I think it was Dateline. I watched it online)"

I just saw a preview for it. She is everywhere right now. I must watch that one."


It was extremely interesting. I also watched the doc "Going Clear" on HBO a few months ago. Really fascinating. I'm surprised they managed to keep a lid on the whole thing for this long.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Brightness wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Brightness wrote: "Did you see her Dateline interview? (I think it was Dateline. I watched it online)"

I just saw a preview for it. She is everywhere rig..."


Stuff like this just fascinates me too. I was glued to the tv the other night when CNN did a Jim Jones special. It just amazes me how easy it is for people to follow someone who has charisma.


message 5: by Brightness (new)

Brightness Me too. Utterly fascinating.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Ha! Okay here's me being an asshole. I know that Remini was part of Scientology (whole family and some such if I'm thinking right). Buuuuuuut, I wonder how much she actually knows. Know what I'm saying? I mean she's kind of a one-trick pony as far as acting skills and lord knows it's nearly impossible for a woman to keep getting parts once they're over 30. I hope there's some substance to this and not just a way to make some $$$$$$ with only surface level fluff.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Ha! Okay here's me being an asshole. I know that Remini was part of Scientology (whole family and some such if I'm thinking right). Buuuuuuut, I wonder how much she actually knows. Know what I'm sa..."

When I saw her on the news this morning I kinda thought along the same lines. I still want to read it just because I'm a nosy heifer...but I'm also wondering why she waited til now to say anything.
I wish Katie Holmes would do a tell all. I bet she has some dirt.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "I wish Katie Holmes would do a tell all. I bet she has some dirt...."

Oh I would knock old ladies down to get a copy of her story.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "I wish Katie Holmes would do a tell all. I bet she has some dirt...."

Oh I would knock old ladies down to get a copy of her story."


Holy crap..you should have gotten this smutty book that I'm reading. I think my kindle just caught on fire.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) What is it? It's been awhile since I've read something naughty.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "What is it? It's been awhile since I've read something naughty."

Friction..I need to repeat to myself..do not read smutty book at work. Do not read smutty book at work.


Kelly (and the Book Boar) Farts. That one is archived. Buuuuuut Elyse just read a book where a student falls in love with a CADAVER! That's my type of romance : )


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Farts. That one is archived. Buuuuuut Elyse just read a book where a student falls in love with a CADAVER! That's my type of romance : )"

I got that one too! Run gets it.


message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda A Just make sure you keep this review as that one sentence and I'll be happy


message 15: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson This looks good! I need to check out the interview! Tom Cruise freaks me out! Scientology seems so cult like :/


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Brenda wrote: "Just make sure you keep this review as that one sentence and I'll be happy"

It probably will be for awhile. I ain't giving that much for an ebook. LOL


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "This looks good! I need to check out the interview! Tom Cruise freaks me out! Scientology seems so cult like :/"

I'm betting on some kool-aid being stashed in their closet.


message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Looking forward to this, your humour will lessen the bad stuff.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Suzanne wrote: "Looking forward to this, your humour will lessen the bad stuff."

As soon as my grubby little hands gets a copy of it. :D


message 20: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "This looks good! I need to check out the interview! Tom Cruise freaks me out! Scientology seems so cult like :/"

I'm betting on some kool-aid being stashed in their closet."


Lol! I bet you're right! Hopefully Tom Cruise is not Scientology's Jim Jones!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "This looks good! I need to check out the interview! Tom Cruise freaks me out! Scientology seems so cult like :/"

I'm betting on some koo..."


He does have those crazy eyes.


message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Shelby the thing us Aussies always remember about T.C is when a journo challenged (nothing severe at all) he replied with 'put your manners back in your mouth'.


message 23: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "This looks good! I need to check out the interview! Tom Cruise freaks me out! Scientology seems so cult like :/"

I'm be..."


Haha! So true! I can't wait for your review on this one!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Suzanne wrote: "Shelby the thing us Aussies always remember about T.C is when a journo challenged (nothing severe at all) he replied with 'put your manners back in your mouth'."

From the stuff I've seen on the TV in the last few days this book does show that he is pretty much a asshole. I think I'll probably give it five stars just for that.


message 25: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I saw her interviewed for 20/20. I was interested because about a month ago I watched an HBO Documentary on the subject of Scientology. She was not in that Documentary, however they mentioned other Hollywood Actors. Some spoke out as they have left the Religion and some like Cruise of course made no comment. I found it all very interesting. One of the things that I couldn't believe was that Scientologists are told to NEVER look up anything about Scientology on the internet. She mentioned in her interview that just prior to leaving she did something you are not to do and researched the religion on the internet. It is astounding to me that in 2017 a religious group (or any group) has such mass power over a relatively large group of educated individuals. I am interested to read this book to add to my knowledge of the subject. I think perhaps their ability to live in a self imposed "dark age" has expired.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Melanie wrote: "I saw her interviewed for 20/20. I was interested because about a month ago I watched an HBO Documentary on the subject of Scientology. She was not in that Documentary, however they mentioned other..."

YES! Some one tells me not to look up something and I would break my leg getting to the computer to see what I was missing.
It happens though. History is proof that people can be sorta brainwashed into being followers.


message 27: by Ginny Harple (new)

Ginny Harple I grew up in Clearwater Beach where they have a huge center. They are CRAY. Walking around in their colored uniforms, touching trees, Windows all closed up... they scare the crap out of my kids, lol


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Ginny Harple wrote: "I grew up in Clearwater Beach where they have a huge center. They are CRAY. Walking around in their colored uniforms, touching trees, Windows all closed up... they scare the crap out of my kids, lol"

I bet so! I got nosey after this thread yesterday and looked up more stuff about them and holy baloney. They are kinda scary.
I bet they sick Xenu on me for talking smack.


message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda A They'll hire private investigators to try and muddy your name, isn't that what they did with the South Park creators?!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Brenda wrote: "They'll hire private investigators to try and muddy your name, isn't that what they did with the South Park creators?!"

Really? I need to read up on this stuff.
But the poor things would be so disappointed with me...because i muddy up my name all on my own.


message 32: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Shelby, If you haven't seen this yet! Check it out! http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselm...


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Brenda wrote: "Yeah, true story!: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10..."

That kind of scares me. I look around some more after reading that and holy cow.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Shelby, If you haven't seen this yet! Check it out! http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselm..."

You guys are feeding my addiction...*goes to read*


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Hide and seek? I'm dying

You know..some of that just has enough to make me think that it's true.

Tom Cruise might need to meet up with Carol from the Walking dead...she would make him some cookies.


message 36: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Hide and seek? I'm dying

You know..some of that just has enough to make me think that it's true.

Tom Cruise might need to meet up with Carol from the Walking dead...she would make him some cookies."


Lol! Too funny! Carol would take care of the Scientology problem!

I think this stuff is true! Like you said TC has those crazy eyes! Lol!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* and all that stuff? For some reason I can see him acting and wanting all that crap.

The thing with Suri? argghh..I bet that is why Katie Holmes wised up and got the heck out.


message 38: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "and all that stuff? For some reason I can see him acting and wanting all that crap.

The thing with Suri? argghh..I bet that is why Katie Holmes wised up and got the heck out."


The thing with Suri is insane! She was 7 months old!?! I agree about Katie Holmes. I heard she had to stay like 5 years in order to get a good monetary settlement. That must have been a rough 5 years!


message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul Nelson Praise the Lord Tom Cruise.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Paul wrote: "Praise the Lord Tom Cruise."

Bahhahaa!!


Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) Did you get this yet?


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost) wrote: "Did you get this yet?"

Nooooo and it is killing me. My library will do that stuff where you can't request it for awhile. Like I don't have tons to read. Lol


SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted* Got the book,and I will admit it,I am nosey...I wanna know what's what.
Who knows who is telling the truth. Every time a person comes out with their accounts of Scientology,the church defames their character. So,one would begin to surmise where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoping it is juicy. :)


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* SUSAN wrote: "Got the book,and I will admit it,I am nosey...I wanna know what's what.
Who knows who is telling the truth. Every time a person comes out with their accounts of Scientology,the church defames their..."


I wants some juicy too Susan. So far I've been watching when she was on several shows promoting the book and she really comes across pretty well.
Her whole family left the church with her because of how she was treated.


Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) I have always like Leah Remini. Remember her from Saved by the Bell? And of course, The King of Queens was so funny in a goofy way (my view anyway).

And I love reading/hearing gossip about Scientology. It's my version of watching reality TV.


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost) wrote: "I have always like Leah Remini. Remember her from Saved by the Bell? And of course, The King of Queens was so funny in a goofy way (my view anyway).

And I love reading/hearing gossip about Sciento..."


I knew I remembered her on Saved by the Bell. I couldn't remember if it was really her or not. My husband and I talked about it last night.
I love King of Queens. I still watch the re-runs of it.

YES!! I love some cultish gossipy stuff. This is our crack.


message 47: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat I want this book so bad after all the tasty Daily Mail snippets. Har har!


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Loederkoningin wrote: "I want this book so bad after all the tasty Daily Mail snippets. Har har!"

I'm reading this sucker soon. I can't take it!


message 49: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat Not up on Kobo yet, meh. But what's new?


Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Loederkoningin wrote: "Not up on Kobo yet, meh. But what's new?"

I didn't realize that they were slower. I've always been a Kindle whore. I'm thinking about changing to a Kindle paperwhite because my eyes are getting to where my fire gives me eyestrain so bad. Someone told me to go with Kobo, but not if they are slower.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top