J.M. Hushour's Reviews > The Musil Diaries: Robert Musil, 1899-1942

The Musil Diaries by Robert Musil

liked it

Always be wary when you read reviews that start off with something like, "For the [so-and-so] completist".
This work is for the Robert Musil completist. So there. I warned you. Until recently, I would've thought myself a Robert Musil completist. "The Man Without Qualities" is one of the greatest works of wonderfully incomplete fiction ever not finished! I love that grand work. Musil's other work isn't as good, but, who cares?
You can like a writer to a superlative degree, but does that mean you have to actually give so much of a shit that you want to spend 3 yrs occasionally slogging through his untidy diaries?
God, no. Do not misunderstand. There are neat bits in this collection. Musil wrote long-winded private passages on all kinds of aesthetic ideas, characterizations, and some day-to-day banalities. Overall, though, I wouldn't suggest seeking this out. It's mildly annoying in its choppiness and probably only useful to people getting graduate degrees in studying Musil, which I highly recommend against doing. Be a plumber. Read Musil's fiction. You'll be fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Musil Diaries.

Finished Reading