Zareena (The Slanted Bookshelf)'s Reviews > Paint My Body Red

Paint My Body Red by Heidi R. Kling

4701983

bookshelves: contemporary, romance, new-adult, heidi-r-kling

I’m not sure what I expected from Paint My Body Red but it was a great read! Paige is being sent to her father’s ranch for the summer to protect her from the events of the past year and to give her some distance from everything before university.

There are lots of threads that the author pulls together in Paint My Body Red: Paige’s father’s illness, the mystery behind the suicides and Paige’s involvement, Paige healing, and the romance with Jake. First the plot. Last year a string of suicides occurred at Paige’s school, people she had grown up with. In flashbacks we see what happened and how Paige was affected. I wasn’t sure what to think about the string of suicides but one thing for sure was that Paige’s mental health began to decline, especially after she got sexually involved with her stepbrother. We find out what happened through the flashbacks and in pieces so there’s Tia tensions that runs throughout the book, which made me want to read on.

Everything we learn about Paige’s past is disturbing but when Paige heads out to Wyoming and her dad’s ranch she is determined to get better. So often characters in YA books who have been through something traumatic are anti-therapist and don’t seem to want to face what happened. But Paige didn’t do that. She slowly goes through what happened to her and she doesn’t make decisions that she knows will hurt her progress. Also, I really liked Paige’s character: she’s quiet but also determined. One thing I didn’t like about Paige was that in the flashbacks she seemed to be really selfish at times.

I really enjoyed Paint My Body Red and the romance made it even better. Jake is the love interest and the author did a wonderful job of building friend hair between Paige and Jake before even suggesting something more. Paige knows she’s not ready for any type of relationship and she takes the time to get to know Jake as a friend. When they do finally get together it was really sweet. Similar to Paige, Jake is a pretty laid back person but he compliments Paige really well. Also, did I mention he’s a cowboy? Yeah ;) . Having said that, I thought all the secondary characters, including Jake, were a bit flat and could have done with more development. The author spent so much time on Paige – which worked really well – but Jake’s character had the potential to more, so that was slightly disappointing.

Overall Paint My Body Red was an enjoyable read. It is certainly not a light read and at times it was a little disturbing but the author handled all he topics wonderfully and I’d definitely recommend picking this one up :)

Young Adult/New Adult
4 stars

Thank you, Entangled, for providing me with a review copy! All views and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint My Body Red.

Started Reading