Katinki's Reviews > The Hand of Chaos

The Hand of Chaos by Margaret Weis

Jan 23, 2011

bookshelves: deathgate-cycle, epic-high-fantasy
Read from March 03 to 04, 2012

Copied from Dragon Wing. Review is for entire series.

Re-read

The Deathgate Cycle is one of my favorite series ever. Everything about it - all 7 books - are just... high fantasy perfection.

- The world (or rather universe) is amazingly unique, stunning in set up and description, and terrifically told.
- The magic and its use is top notch. It's one of few series that really go into HOW the magic of the world works.
- The characters are all highly memorable, including "Dog", the secondaries, the villains, the monsters, etc. And the primary protagonist, Haplo, is one of my favorites ever. Maybe my very favorite. He's everything I'd ever want in a protag - strong yet kind, "good", complex, and so easy to get behind and pull for. He's a bad ass, too.
- And the plot is perfect and perfectly executed.

Everything about this series is just... yeah. I can honestly think of no negatives. Unless to say that I'd like another 7 books. I'll just settle for re-reading, which it handles just fine. This book was just as good today as the first time I read way back in like... idk... 1991 [ETA: probably like 1993 for HoC] or so.

You won't get a much higher recommendation out of me than this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hand of Chaos.

03/03/2012 page 1