Skye (HailHydra)'s Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Oct 31, 2015

bookshelves: own, 2016
Read 2 times. Last read September 1, 2016 to September 5, 2016.

** spoiler alert ** "Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."

"If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."

"I finally decided that people believed in an afterlife because they couldn't bear not to."

" "Why are you wearing your fox hat?" I asked.
"Because no one can catch the motherfucking fox." "

" "Pudge, my friend, we are indefuckingstructible.""

"I could only see her lying naked on a metal table, a small trickle of blood falling out of her half-teardrop nose, her green eyes open, staring off into the distance, her mouth turned up just enough to suggest the idea of a smile, and she had felt so warm against me, her mouth soft and warm on mine."

"I know so many last words, but I will never know hers."

"Because memories fall apart too. And then you're left with nothing, left not even with a ghost, but with its shadow. In the beginning she had haunted me, haunted my dreams, but even now, just weeks later, she was slipping away, falling apart in my memory and everyone else's, dying again."

"I'd finally had enough chasing after a ghost who did not want to be seen."

"Straight and fast. Maybe she just decided at the last second."

" "After all this time, it still seems to me like straight and fast is the only way out - but I choose the labyrinth. The labyrinth blows, but I choose it." "

"And I would always love Alaska Young, my crooked neighbour, with all my crooked heart."

"We need never be hopeless, because we can be irreparably broken."

"I don't know where there is, but I know it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Skye (HailHydra) Liked

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

John Green
“People, I thought, wanted security. They couldn't bear the idea of death being a big black nothing, couldn't bear the thought of their loved ones not existing, and couldn't even imagine themselves not existing. I finally decided that people believed in an afterlife because they couldn't bear not to.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

Finished Reading
October 31, 2015 – Shelved
May 14, 2016 – Shelved as: own
September 1, 2016 – Started Reading
September 2, 2016 –
page 167
63.5% "Here come the tears..."
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016