Kate's Reviews > What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman

bookshelves: travel

I started this book while on a 16 hour flight to Australia months ago. At the time, I was unable to put it down. Fast forward to now (after numerous interruptions) and I just finished the book in a few short weeks. Truth be told, when I finished this book I was running on a treadmill in the gym and couldn't believe it was over. I tried to jump into another book but needed to mourn the ending of this one.

"What I Was Doing..." captured my interest months ago as I am far more interested in travel than I am in mundane living. This book opened my eyes to magical places and lessons that can be learned as you travel.

Looking back on the book holistically, it is clear the author outlined the store to unfold in such a way. I feel as though I have been apart of her 10 years of travel and can walk away with the store fully unfolded and told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding.

Quotes Kate Liked

Kristin Newman
“To me, marriage was an ending, not a beginning. A stone on my chest. A giving-up, a decision to walk away from an interesting life for one just like everyone else’s. Much more “ever after” than “happily.”

Kristin Newman
“Everyone I knew, no matter what they chose, was at least a little in mourning for that other thing.”

Kristin Newman
“And I would tell him, so full of twentysomething wisdom, that life is almost never about choosing between one thing you really want and another thing you don't want at all. If you're lucky, and healthy, and live in a country where you have enough to eat and no fear that you're going to get shot when you walk out your door, life is an endless series of choosing between two things you want almost equally. And you have to evaluate and determine which awesome thing you want infinitesimally more, and then give up that other awesome thing you want almost exactly as much. You have to trade awesome for awesome. Everyone I knew, no matter what they chose, was at least a little in mourning for that other thing.”

Kristin Newman
“When you travel, you're forced to have new thoughts. "Is this alley safe?" "Is this the right bus?" "Was this meat ever a house pet?" It doesn't even matter what the new thoughts are, it feels so good to just have some variety. And it's a reboot for your brain. I can feel the neurons making new connections again with new problems to solve, clawing their way back to their nimbler, younger days.”

October 31, 2015 – Started Reading