K.T.'s Reviews > Origins of the Never

Origins of the Never by C.J. Rutherford

Read 2 times. Last read November 1, 2015.

This is a really neat prequel for Souls of the Never and I enjoyed it. It forms a great background for the first in the series and is a steady, fascinating read. It’s well written and holds the reader’s attention easily. I love the imagery of a world protected from ambition and greed by a special kind of magic and especially appreciated the way the author wrapped the elements of good and evil together in a finely woven ribbon of destruction. It was different from the usual integral bad character making everyone’s life a misery and concentrated more on a latent hidden evil that works its way into a decent man’s character through emotional hurt. That’s what real life is like and it resonated with me.

1 November 2015
I read this prequel around the time of its release and gave it four stars. I've just reread it as part of reading the whole series and the author has made a lot of changes in terms of editing and diction and I'm revising my rating to five stars based on that alone. I think second time around I like it even more than the first and will be moving onto Souls next, which last time I read in the wrong order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origins of the Never.

December 9, 2014 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
December 9, 2014 – Shelved as: book-review-depot (ebook Edition)
Started Reading (ebook Edition)
December 10, 2014 – Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
October 31, 2015 – Shelved