Ann Cooper's Reviews > House of Shadows

House of Shadows by Nicola Cornick

19768174

This was one of the most fascinating books I have read in a long time! Nicola gets the balance between history and modern times just right!

It is the story of a mirror and a pearl and the people who are affected by them through history. So we meet Elizabeth Stuart, the Winter Queen and William Craven from the 17th Century, Lavinia Flyte and Robert Verity in the early 19th Century and Holly and Mark today.

I learned a lot about mid-17th century history in Europe - and it was all really interesting and well written. Nicola shows the beginnings of the civil war in England from the point of the European royalty, which was very different!

The love stories were wonderful! Elizabeth and William as lovers from different social backgrounds, Lavinia and Robert - again from different social backgrounds and finally Holly and Mark, who are from similar backgrounds!

The weaving of the mirror and pearl throughout the book was amazing! the people in the book were attracted to them for very different reasons and this made it all the more interesting!

I so enjoyed this book and am still thinking about it, long after I finished it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Shadows.

October 31, 2015 – Started Reading