Badass Bloggettes's Reviews > The Fall Up

The Fall Up by Aly Martinez

Oct 30, 2015

HOLY COW! “Once upon a time...I fell in love with Spiderman. #TrueStory”.

As a blogger I have the opportunity to read a lot of books so when I say this is my favorite book of the month and, one of my top books for the year, that means something. I love, love, love everything about it. The Fall Up is one of those stories that grabs the reader from the first page and holds on tight even after the book ends.

“It was raining. Isn’t that the way all good love stories start?”

I love the characters; not only the main characters but the support characters too. Henry is the best, best friend a girl can have. Sam’s family is so loving and supportive. Ryan, Sam’s friend, is a hoot. I love them all. Even Levee’s dysfunctional parents are great tool used to give some insight into who Levee really is. They all have a purpose in telling the story and reveal tidbits about the main characters.

Sam Rivers is a strongly written hero. He has a big heart and, while he has suffered in his life, he still opens his heart to people who need help…Levee Williams needs help.

“I slide my hand down the rail to cover hers. It was a simple gesture, but it was easily the greatest decision I’d ever made. That one touch destroyed a wall.”

”My name is Samuel Nathan Rivers. I’m twenty-seven. Aquarius. No criminal history. I have a clean bill of health. I’m a democrat, but for God’s sake, do not tell my mom.”

When Sam meets Levee he sees her beauty and her secret and he doesn’t know she is a star. They meet on a bridge looking out at the view and contemplating the events of their personal life. Levee is burning the candle at both ends so to speak. She has professional commitments and personal obligations that keep her busy around the clock. Sam’s goal is to find out what is driving her.

"There isn't a woman in the world who doesn't have demons of some sort."

“Designer shoes” is the nickname Sam gave Levee when they first meet and it sticks. Sam and Levee come from different backgrounds. He isn’t poor by any means but he isn’t in the eye of the media twenty-four/seven either. Life with Levee is an adjustment and her demons stir memories of Sam’s failures that are only failures in his own mind.

“You have to stop being Levee Williams all the time and just be you.”

Why the 5 stars? I’m not a big 5 star reviewer but every once in a while you run into a book that has everything, great characters, the hero and heroine perfectly complement each other. Great support characters that make me laugh, cry, and love. It has a beautiful storyline with the right mix of love, anxiety, strong but suffering characters, and, even better, it makes the reader feel good at the end. The Fall Up is one of those books.

I cannot end without mentioning the writing. The book is written in dual point of views (Levee and Sam). The story unfolds at a perfect pace revealing bits and pieces of each characters’ history and current situation. Love, love, love the epilogue. By the end of the story I completely fell for Sam hook, line, and sinker. What can I say but move over husband and make a space for Sam Rivers.

This is my first Aly Martinez book but as soon as I finished…I mean immediately after The End, I
One-Clicked two more of her books. That is an A+ endorsement of her writing for me…so…needless to say, I highly recommend The Fall Up by Aly Martinez.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall Up.

Started Reading