Victoria's Reviews > Breath, Eyes, Memory

Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

This book was a journey, not an easy one but a worthwhile one. Surprisingly, I read through it quickly. The book revolves around Sophie Caco, a young Haitian girl transplanted into NYC to finally live with her mother. New York is not as glamorous as her friends and relatives in the countryside told her it would be. I love this book because it went beyond plot. Yes, there is a story but that main narrative is filled with many other little anecdotes and hillside tales of magic, wonder, pain, poverty, abuse, and triumph. Everyone from Grandme Ife to Tante Atie shares some wisdom through parables. It's incredibly comforting, even when something heartbreaking happens. Perhaps especially then.

The story is really about finding peace within the main character's self. Finding out who she needs to be to get through her pain and live her life. To break the cycles of poverty and abuse in which she'd been raised. I also appreciate this book for providing a narrative of Haiti, and rural people in general, that didn't beg for pity. Yes, people are poor. Yes, there are systems of oppression that are still going strong. Yes, there is strife. That doesn't mean that life is all bad or that people live as victims, constantly showing their scars. That's the most powerful part of the book to me. The gentle portrayal of people who are often misrepresented.

I'd recommend it but be aware that there is some sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and other triggers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breath, Eyes, Memory.

Quotes Victoria Liked

Edwidge Danticat
“Love is like the rain. It comes in a drizzle sometimes. Then it starts pouring and if you're not careful it will drown you.”
Edwidge Danticat, Breath, Eyes, Memory