Anna's Reviews > King Dork

King Dork by Frank Portman

Jan 22, 2011

bookshelves: books-for-boys, fiction, listened-to-audio-book, read-in-2011, young-adult, favorites
Recommended for: people who were dorky in high school

I loved this book. And I really mean that. This book appealed to me on so many levels. It made me laugh. It made me laugh more. It made me reflect on high school. It made me laugh about The Catcher in the Rye. It made me laugh about APs. It made me laugh about my old assistant principal, who just totally reminded me of Mr. Teone. The line where Tom compared the fake rap guy's performance in the "Festival of Lights" (I love that name!) to an abortion was just absolutely classic. I suppose there are times when this book is crude, possibly offensive (like that abortion comment, which might rub some people the wrong way). A few reviewers even said sexist. I don't think it is. I think it just gets at what high school is like for a lot of dorky kids. I was one, so I got this, and I loved it. I really, really loved it. Any book that can make me laugh out loud on many occasions gets 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Dork.

Quotes Anna Liked

Frank Portman
“High School is the penalty for transgressions yet to be specified.”

Frank Portman
“I felt bad because Little Big Tom came in while we were making the tape and was like over the moon because he thought we were interested in his music. We had to humor him and listen to him deliver around six hundred speeches about fusion and the Art Ensemble of Chicago and Chicano and Latino influences on pretentious jazzy pseudorock. I think it was probably the happiest I'd ever seen him. And I also felt bad about the fact that after he left we kind of made fun of the funny way he said Latino, like he was the Frito Bandito or something. I felt bad, but I did it anyway, because I'm only human. I was ashamed of myself and depressed afterward, though, which is human, too, I guess. Being human is an excuse for just about everything, but it also kind of sucks in a way.”

Frank Portman
“There's always a bit of suspense about the particular way in which a given school year will get off to a bad start.”

Frank Portman
“It was more like an abortion than music, but he got a wildly enthusiastic response from the crowd. Well, we're all pro-choice out here in Hillmont, after all.”

January 22, 2011 – Started Reading
January 22, 2011 – Shelved
January 22, 2011 –
10.0% "Hilarious so far!"
January 22, 2011 – Shelved as: books-for-boys