Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass

Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass by Frederick Douglass

Fredrick Douglass’s account of his life as a slave is inspiring. But there were two underlying themes that I seem to gather from the book.

1. While slavery has ended the socio-economic prejudices that people have has not changed at all. In his descriptions and modern society it seems the poor white man is always acting as the arbiter of violence. Blacks are still largely vastly under educated and are told to not recognize their plight.
2. Fredrick Douglass noticed the conservative ideal of the South. The going to church, family values and what not but still being racist rhetoric and violent.

Quotes

“I have observed this in my experience of slavery,—that whenever my condition was improved, instead of its increasing my contentment, it only increased my desire to be free, and set me to thinking of plans to gain my freedom. I have found that, to make a contented slave, it is necessary to make a thoughtless one. It is necessary to darken his moral and mental vision, and, as far as possible, to annihilate the power of reason. He must be able to detect no inconsistencies in slavery; he must be made to feel that slavery is right; and he can be brought to that only when he ceases to be a man.”

“As I writhed under it, I would at times feel that learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing. It had given me a view of my wretched condition, without the remedy. It opened my eyes to the horrible pit, but to no ladder upon which to get out.”

“…if we should take the land route, we should be subjected to interruptions of almost every kind. Any one having a white face, and being so disposed, could stop us, and subject us to examination.”

“Many of the black carpenters were freemen. Things seemed to be going on very well. All at once, the white carpenters knocked off, and said they would not work with free colored workmen. Their reason for this, as alleged, was, that if free colored carpenters were encouraged, they would soon take the trade into their own hands, and poor white men would be thrown out of employment.”

“I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the south is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes,—a justifier of the most appalling barbarity,—a sanctifier of the most hateful frauds,—and a dark shelter under, which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal deeds of slaveholders find the strongest protection.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass.

Quotes Abhi Liked

Frederick Douglass
“was truly a great advantage. I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the south is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes,—a justifier of the most appalling barbarity,—a sanctifier of the most hateful frauds,—and a dark shelter under, which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal deeds of slaveholders find the strongest protection.”
Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass