Eric's Reviews > American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields

American Terroir by Rowan Jacobsen

it was ok

This book is a collection of mildly interesting anecdotes about food with the occasional Wikipedia-esque factoid thrown in. Jacobsen seems to think that throwing in the word "terroir" (the pronunciation of which he generously helps us with in the first pages, much like Nabokov describing lip placement for the pronunciation of "Lolita") at the end of each anecdote makes the book actually about the interaction between the land and the food it produces. He falls short, however, in practically every way, and the book is useful solely in its listing of interesting foods to buy at the end of each chapter. I'm excited to look into some of the foods Jacobsen mentions, and I am glad to have read the book for that. I'm glad I've finished the book before looking into the purchases, though, because his vomitous prose, juvenile metaphors, and facile treatment of the topics at hand would certainly have made me lose my appetite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Terroir.

Started Reading