Jessica's Reviews > Girl in Translation

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Feb 18, 2017

bookshelves: read-harder-2017, read-in-2017
Read in February, 2017

4.5 stars. It didn't get 5 stars only because I try to be stingy with the "IT WAS AMAAAAZING" ratings. It was a very good book, though! I checked out the audiobook from my library (infinite free audiobooks? SIGN ME UP.) and listened to it in a few days.

I can't attest to the accuracy of the portrayal of the life of an immigrant, but other people are saying it's pretty close. If that's true... can we get more people reading this? So maybe we can grow some empathy as a culture, instead of automatically vilifying anyone with an accent? Everything is a struggle, and they are entirely at the mercy of those around them, for good or for bad. I always had an idea that it must be so hard to immigrate to a country where you have to learn a whole new language, but this really highlights that language is just the beginning of the struggle.

You know what? I'm going to change this to 5 stars. It does deserve it. And Kim would be ashamed of any grade less than perfect anyways <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Translation.

12/19 marked as: to-read