Alivia's Reviews > To Hell and Back

F 50x66
Jan 22, 2011

did not like it
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** A great world and a brilliant storyline. The initial first two books were good, by the third I had my doubts but I couldn’t stand not knowing, I am any authors dream if it’s a series that grows in the telling but fails in its tale I still have to finish... Dante Valentine was brilliant and then she lost her self. In most books the heroes goes through some transformation, learning to love, having leadership pushed onto them and rising to it, over-coming past experiences and even having literal transformations (Vampire, Shifter, Demon). And Dante Valentine is no different but instead she has her initially strong personality crushed and her ability to trust in others and herself destroyed, she gets physically manhandled, for lack of a better word, essentially destroying her and Japhs relationship and the worst is the loss of faith in a God that has always been there and never failed her. Worst of all the moment she is to prove herself the 'hero' someone else comes and picks up the knife that kills the devil. Dante is not a hero. She is not even main character material but the person present for most of the story. She is caught up and destroyed by circumstance and in effect love. (Do not get me started on her and Japhs “relationship”)

But I recommend the first few, this specific book is not to my taste but Lilith Saintcrow is a good author with an exceptionally uncanny knack of creating worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Hell and Back.