Mick Kelly's Reviews > The Last Pre-Raphaelite: Edward Burne-Jones and the Victorian Imagination

The Last Pre-Raphaelite by Fiona MacCarthy

Excellent biography by Fiona McCarthy - detailed and absorbing. I am not a fan of Burne-Jones' painting, nor of pre-Raphaelite art in general - but I do find their stories, and these years of Victorian Britain, totally absorbing. He is a fascinating man - though a bit infuriating and unreliable (as befits an artist!!).

I think the hero of this book is really his wife, Georgina. As Burne-Jones pursued other women, she became closer to B-J's great friend, William Morris, adopting his Socialist ideals and campaigning for social justice and women's suffrage into late old age.

The lives of the pre-raphaelites are closely entangled, and it is is difficult to read just one of these biography - and I think this is better read after reading about Rossetti, Morris and Holman Hunt. But if you do, you will never tire of this Victorian soap-opera - Romance, Intrigue, Deception, Drug Addiction, Death - and Wombats - it's all there for you to enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Pre-Raphaelite.

Started Reading