Barb (Boxermommyreads)'s Reviews > Carry On

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Oct 28, 2015

bookshelves: 2015

I want to start off by saying I love Rainbow Rowell. I have read all her books except Fangirl (go figure) and while I have my favorite, they have all been great. I truly enjoyed Carry On, and overall I feel it was a great book. I know people are ranting and raving about it, and I really anticipated a 5 star read, but I felt while great, it fell a little short for me in some areas.

I know that Simon Snow started out as a fictional fantasy character in Fangirl and that there are tons of comparisons to Harry Potter. So I really shouldn't have been surprised that this book seemed like Potter fan fiction in the beginning. This then made me start an internal debate in my head about if Carry On is some sort of fan fiction Rainbow Rowell has written about her own book...which made me really confused. The first half of the book I really couldn't stop making Harry Potter comparisons which made it difficult at times. However, I did manage to forget all about Potter about 200-250 pages in. And with it being a long book, that still left plenty of pages of enjoyment.

I loved the characters in Carry On and believe they are the best thing about the book. Baz is my all-time favorite, with Penelope coming in a close second. Simon actually got on my nerves from time to time (but then so did Harry) and unfortunately, Agatha missed the mark altogether. I believe she was whiny and not adventurous enough to be part of "the gang." Some of the other characters like Nicodemus and Ebb were so wonderful that I would really enjoy hearing about their childhood and wished there was a book coming about them. Rowell is an expert at creating likable, yet flawed individuals, and this book has plenty of them.

Rowell also definitely knows how to put her own flair on a fantasy novel. I love her snark and her spells are hilarious at times. I appreciated that she didn't make it too serious, despite the complexity of the novel.

Anyone who loves Rainbow Rowell will definitely love Carry On. It is one fantastic book and in my opinion, a strong 4 star read. My only issue with reading it so quickly after if was released is that I now have to wait for what seems like forever for a new Rowell book to come out. It seems it took me forever to read this book, but for the first time in years, I was actually reading two books at the same time which made it seem like I would never get this finished.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On.

October 28, 2015 – Started Reading
October 28, 2015 – Shelved
October 28, 2015 –
page 45
8.62% "Wish I could stay home all day and read this. Love the snarkiness!"
October 30, 2015 –