Rachel Geiger's Reviews > Paint My Body Red

Paint My Body Red by Heidi R. Kling

Honestly, this is a book that will stay with me for awhile. The subject is extremely tough, and it can be very emotionally draining for me personally. Meaning, I can only take so much of really sad situations in books but at the same time, this is a significant story that needs to be told. I felt like the author did a good job at being sensitive and honest at the same time. She handled the tough stuff with a large amount of grace, which is always respectable to me.

I felt like the narration was clever, I've never read anything like it before. Basically, the main character is writing about the chain of events that led her to coming to stay with her father for the summer before she goes off to college. She writes all these details in a diary and the chapters are titled to mark the "then and now" sequence of events. Anyway, it was very tastefully done and I liked that the author was able to stand out with her storytelling.

In the then chapters, we get to see the toxic relationship that unraveled between Paige and her step-brother Ty back in California. This was unnerving for me at times, because I automatically could sense that something wasn't right with him, but I also did enjoy the way the author revealed the information. There was a decent balance between the "then and now" chapters. Meaning, while the flashbacks were gradually worse and worse as Paige's life begins to go to shambles, her current life is pretty great as she spends time on the ranch in Wyoming with the hot and sweet cowboy Jake.Read full review on Go Read A Book

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint My Body Red.

Started Reading