Stephen AB's Reviews > A Meeting by the River

M 50x66
Oct 27, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: _american, _english

I can see why some people think this book is a mess - it certainly isn't as good as some of his other books. Still, I quite enjoyed it. I like the way the Brothers were both lost in their own way, flailing about trying to "find themselves", and how this lead to themselves becoming unreliable narrators to others, and to themselves for that matter. They still look for validation from each other and rely on mothers and wives and lovers and gurus and gods and sex. That each felt threatened by the other brother doing their own thing, and yet seek external fixes, for escape or crutches, but do discover something of internal strength through their meeting over a few weeks. It felt fairly realistic of a mildly fucked-up family, and though the ending had an air sentimentality about, it felt true enough.

I wonder if people who have lived or experienced such dysfunctional families or problematic relationships might relate to and value reading this book more than those who haven't? Poooooossibleeeee.

Not one I am going to read again, but it passed a couple rainy afternoons by the seaside.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Meeting by the River.

October 27, 2015 – Started Reading