Joy H.'s Reviews > The Beach House

The Beach House by Jane Green

Jan 22, 2011

bookshelves: chick-lit, a-good-read, light-reading
Read in January, 2011

Below are my comments about this book. The comments were written at my GR group:

I found a good book when I randomly plucked the following book off the shelf at our library: _The Beach House_ by Jane Green. I'd say it would come under the heading of "chick lit". I felt compelled to keep reading it because the plot swept me along. This doesn't happen to me too often. So I was pleasantly surprised.

The writing style isn't fancy; it's straight forward. However, what makes the story interesting is the presentation. The author starts out by introducing several different groups of characters separately in different chapters. After you've read the particular problems of those different groups of characters, the author brings them together to intermingle in each other's lives and to change the direction of those lives. This was a plot device of Irving Wallace years ago. I always enjoyed it.

The story should have ended with Chapter 29. I was satisfied by then. However, the author added a short epilogue-type ending which seemed anti-climactic. By that time, I had lost interest. I would rather have had things left to my imagination instead of having the unexciting and predictable future developments spelled out for me.

Funny how we lose interest at certain points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach House.