Teena in Toronto's Reviews > The Golden Son

The Golden Son by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

liked it
bookshelves: canadian

When they were children in a small village in India, Anil and Leena were friends. As they got older, Anil focused more on his education and they grew apart. Anil's dream was to be a doctor and he does his internship in Dallas, TX. His roommates, who were also originally from India, become his best friends. Anil adapts to America very well ... he discovers alcohol and even has an American girlfriend. His mother assumes he will return to their village once he is finished his education and training and Anil doesn't tell her any different.

Leena is happy when her parents arrange a marriage for her and she moves in with her new husband and his family. Things don't go as she had expected and the consequence of her actions brings shame upon her family.

This is the second book I've read by this author. I liked the writing style of this book and it kept me interested and wanting to read it. It is written in third person perspective. As a head's up, there is a bit of swearing. I liked the characters. It wasn't hard to feel that Anil was being torn by his two worlds.

I knew very little about life in India and learned a lot. I found it interesting that the customs in India like arranged marriages, dowries and the things that can bring shame to a family still exist today.

I enjoyed this novel and would recommend it.

Blog review post: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2016/04...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Son.

October 27, 2015 – Shelved