megs_bookrack's Reviews > Hearts in Atlantis

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King

bookshelves: stephen-king-read
Read 2 times. Last read December 4, 2020 to December 13, 2020.

**4.5-stars rounded up**

My first time reading Hearts in Atlantis, if Goodreads existed, I probably would have given it 3.5-stars and rounded up to 4.

Alas, it was the Stone Age and it didn't. Those were dark times, my friends. Dark times.

Many years have passed and I think the fact that I now have age and experience on my side, allows me to view this work from a completely different perspective.

While this most likely explains the significant jump in my rating, I think the fact that I have now read the first six books in the Dark Tower series, also contributes.

There are a lot of interesting references and connections between this book and those.

While the Hearts collection is more understated, it is very powerful. There's a lot of food for thought and I think every Reader will take a little something different away.

I really enjoyed how each story follows a different child of the 60s at different stages of their lives. So, while it follows different people, it still keeps that classic coming of age vibe.

I think the collection as a whole fits very well together.

I won't claim to understand every nuance of these stories, but I do feel like I got a significant amount of meaning out of it this time around.

I would love to read this again someday; maybe in another decade or so. I'm sure it would affect me differently at that time.

This feels more introspective for King. One for his generation. It's impressive, it's beautiful, it's powerful and it's definitely worth picking up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts in Atlantis.

1999 – Started Reading
1999 – Finished Reading
October 27, 2015 – Shelved
November 5, 2015 – Shelved as: stephen-king-read
December 4, 2020 – Started Reading
December 5, 2020 –
page 53
7.88% "Great, now I want to reread Lord of the Flies..."
December 7, 2020 –
page 83
12.33% "I forgot what a great character Bobby is.
A perfect example of how well King can write children.
That innocent worldview. Love it."
December 9, 2020 –
page 129
December 9, 2020 –
page 172
December 11, 2020 –
page 268
December 12, 2020 –
page 481
71.47% "What a shitshow!"
December 12, 2020 –
page 600
89.15% "Whoa. I had an unbelievable reading day with this book.
I have read almost all day. My eyes hurt and it's time for a break.

It's funny how my opinion on this book has changed now that I am older.

I'm really enjoying my time with this subtle collection."
December 13, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Athelstan (new)

Athelstan I really liked this book, too. Like you, I am older now and when I see this book, I feel drawn back to it. I can see how reading it now as experience turns to wisdom, this book would have a whole new meaning. Thanks for stoking my interest in it again.

message 2: by megs_bookrack (last edited Dec 28, 2020 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

megs_bookrack Athelstan wrote: "I really liked this book, too. Like you, I am older now and when I see this book, I feel drawn back to it. I can see how reading it now as experience turns to wisdom, this book would have a whole n..."It really was like reading a completely different book. It's been almost 20-years since I first read it. That can definitely change how you see things. I hope you pick it up again and love it. If you do, let me know about your experience. I would definitely be interested!

message 3: by Brea (new)

Brea Batten I want to dedicate like a good year rereading all of his books. Teenage me loved him, but adult me needs to rekindle it because he's been losing me.

megs_bookrack Brea wrote: "I want to dedicate like a good year rereading all of his books. Teenage me loved him, but adult me needs to rekindle it because he's been losing me." That sounds like a great idea, Brea. Good luck on your journey. I have never lost the love and continue to reread each year. I generally reread 5 or 6 a year.

JESSICA "It was the kiss by which all the others of his life would be judged and found wanting."
This quote alone is worth the price of admission.

megs_bookrack JESSICA wrote: ""It was the kiss by which all the others of his life would be judged and found wanting."
This quote alone is worth the price of admission."
Yasss, girl! Exactly. Love that one. Thank you for mentioning it!!!! xx