megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Tommyknockers

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

bookshelves: stephen-king-read
Read 2 times. Last read September 20, 2020 to October 1, 2020.

**4.5-stars rounded up**

Okay, I know. I know what some of you may be thinking. This isn't a perfect book.

Luckily, I am not a critical reader. Therefore a book doesn't need to be entirely perfect in order for me to love it.

I rate books based upon my reading experience and I absolutely loved my time rereading The Tommyknockers.

This SciFi-Horror novel, first published in 1987, is set in the small town of Haven, Maine.

One day while walking in the woods of her rather large property, local woman, Bobbi Anderson, quite literally stumbles upon a mysterious metal object protruding from the ground.

Unable to understand what she is seeing, Bobbi quickly becomes obsessed with freeing the object.

The longer she's around it however, the more she begins to notice certain disturbing side effects suffered by both herself and her old dog, Peter.

Regardless of any strange happenings, Bobbi continues to feel the pull of the object in the woods.

Around the time Bobbi has developed this new obsession, her old friend, Jim Gardener, known as Gard, finds himself in the depths of a true alcoholic bender.

On a morning where he is moments from ending it all, Gard experiences an overwhelming feeling that Bobbi is in real danger; he needs to call her.

Unable to get through, he does what anyone would do. He hitchhikes to her house.

He finds Bobbi in a state of, shall we say, disrepair.

Bobbi gives Gard, her trusted friend, a run-down of all she has been up to; including showing him the object.

She enlists his help in her mission to free it. Although he has reservations, Gard loves Bobbi in his own way, and ultimately does decide to stick around and help her out.

From there, we meet the town of Haven. The other locals who have begun to feel the effects of the object's greater exposure.

The fallout seems to be having an effect on the health and wellness of the entire town. Incidentally, it also has a significant effect on anyone passing through.

Written towards the end of the Cold War, at a time when discussions of nuclear weapons, power and nonproliferation evoked a lot of passion amongst people, that influence can be felt here.

The fact that I am using the word fallout, as an apt way to describe what was happening to the citizens of Haven, exemplifies that.

In addition to the social commentary, which I feel King is genuinely good at weaving into his stories, he also incorporates various other elements he seems to enjoy exploring.

There's author protagonists, both Bobbi and Gard are writers, alcoholism, mental telepathy, revivalist preachers, dolls, rats, bats, creepy kids and a fantastic array of body horror. It really has it all.

Also, as usual, this story is full of witty humor and characters that are so well-developed you feel like you've known them your whole life.

As a Maine native, I can tell you this story is full of Mainerism, as well!

Overall, I had such a fun time sinking my teeth into this one again. I had forgotten so much.

Additionally, I picked up so many more connections to the great Kingverse than the first time around; having an additional 20-years to read his stories.

I think this one is underrated. Not just underrated, it gets a solidly bad rap.

However, I humbly disagree. I think if you love King, and love SciFi, you can love this book as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tommyknockers.

Finished Reading
October 27, 2015 – Shelved
November 5, 2015 – Shelved as: stephen-king-read
September 20, 2020 – Started Reading
September 20, 2020 –
page 37
3.73% "Off to a good start.
Only a million more pages to go!"
September 21, 2020 –
page 62
September 21, 2020 –
page 106
10.69% "and this is why I reread King...noticing connections I missed the first time I read it over 20-years ago."
September 22, 2020 –
page 170
17.14% "Wondering if King ever acted like Gardner at a party in his hazy-dazy drinking phasey...it just seems too real not to be real..."
September 23, 2020 –
page 267
26.92% "I had a really good reading day with this one. I forgot how mental telepathy was a topic in this one as well. King loves to examine that."
page 311
31.35% "Revival Preachers. He also loves a revival preacher :)"
page 421
42.44% "RATS!
This book is like an amalgamation of all King's favorite things! :)"
page 371
37.4% "The humor. Man, King is funny 😆"
September 25, 2020 –
page 401
40.42% "I'm petrified of dolls.
Just throwing that out there..."
September 25, 2020 –
page 472
September 29, 2020 –
page 639
64.42% "Will I be able to finish this monster this month!?
It'll be a challenge, but I'm going to try!"
September 29, 2020 –
page 708
71.37% "Oh wow, Gardener thought. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superbitch. Faster than a speeding hate-letter, able to leap cringing family members at a single bound.

It's funny because it's true. I forgot what a boss sister Anne was."
September 30, 2020 –
page 835
84.17% "Why is this making me so sad?
I think because I have grown so attached to these characters and there's really only one way this can end...
Yes, I have read it before, but it was over 20-years ago. I don't remember what happens in the end..."
September 30, 2020 –
page 925
93.25% "WHAT'S HAPPENING!? CHAOS HAS COME TO HAVEN!!!"
October 1, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Shell Hunt I love the tommyknockers with all my heart

megs_bookrack Shell wrote: "I love the tommyknockers with all my heart" Yayeee! Glad I am not alone!!!
Do you remember that movie The Faculty with Josh Hartnett? I sort of feel like anyone who liked that movie would like this book -- hahahaaa

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Valentine Fantabulous review megs!!💋👊💕💯😉

megs_bookrack Kat wrote: "Fantabulous review megs!!💋👊💕💯😉"
Thank you so much, Kat! I always find it so hard to review King's stuff without just fangirling. 😉😄😂

message 5: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Excellent review Megs! :) x

megs_bookrack Aisling Zena wrote: "Excellent review Megs! :) x" Thank you so much, sweetheart!!! xx

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Baldwin Tommyknockers is one of my favorites! Rereading The Shining now (with the lights on)!!!

megs_bookrack Debbie wrote: "Tommyknockers is one of my favorites! Rereading The Shining now (with the lights on)!!!"
Ohhh, yayeee! I love to reread The Shining!!! Enjoy 😚