Jo (My House of Books)'s Reviews > In the Heat of the Bite

In the Heat of the Bite by Lydia Dare

Jan 21, 2011

liked it
Read from June 28 to 29, 2011

I was a little disappointed in this book. Given "clues" in the previous book of the series, It Happened One Bite, I assumed the heroine for the next novel would be Sorcha, the youngest witch in the coven. When I learned the heroine would be Rhiannon, I was quite surprised, simply because we the reader don't know much about her, other than her magical abilities concerning the weather. Turns out, she had a lot to deal with: neglectful father, younger sister, hateful aunt.

Matthew, the Earl of Blodswell, also has problems: he's a vampire who's started having chest pains when he spies Rhiannon having a temper tantrum in the park. Then his fangs won't distend, except for Rhiannon.

(Sing it with me now -- "Rhiannnnnon...")

There didn't seem to be much conflict between Rhiannon and Matthew, or perhaps I didn't believe it. All reasoning for why they shouldn't be together is the same as that in It Happened One Bite with Blaire and James, except any sexual tension that might be present because Blaire fights her attraction to James isn't because Rhiannon gives into hers.

No one was turned; no one got into a fight. In the Heat of the Bite felt like a "filler" book, and I almost believe Rhiannon and Matthew would have been better served as a secondary romance over the course of these last three books. But I plan to read the final book in the series, Never Been Bit, to see Sorcha get her man and hopefully witness Elspeth give birth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Heat of the Bite.

06/28/2011 page 125