Melanie's Reviews > Knitlandia: A Knitter Sees the World

Knitlandia by Clara Parkes

202005
Oct 23, 2015

bookshelves: courtesy-of-netgalley, knitting
Recommended for: anyone interested in knitting, fiber arts, travel, new perspectives

Clara Parkes, whose first subject as a professional writer was travel, takes us on a tour of knitting and fiber festivals. Some of her adventures as a yarn evangelist are set in venues that thousands of knitters have shared -- Rhinebeck, Taos, Scotland, Portland, Maryland. Some tell background stories of festivals and events we dream of attending - Squam, TNNA, Vogue Knitting Live, Madrona. We are there at Sock Summit for the first knitting flash mob, we are in Denver to film "Knitting Daily" (as she is encased in makeup that makes her feel "like Ronald MacDonald in drag"), and we go along on a tour of sheep-intensive Iceland. Always, there is pho, her comfort food, and yarn, in all of its incarnations and manifestations.

My favorite moments are in Paris, where she breaks a promise (no yarn! just family!) and visits a petting zoo of a shop" that offers yarn and tea. Years before, she tells us, she fell in love with fountain pens in Paris. How can anyone not be delighted with this book?

Thanks to NetGalley for the review copy in exchange for a fair review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitlandia.

October 23, 2015 – Shelved
October 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 19, 2016 – Started Reading
January 19, 2016 – Shelved as: courtesy-of-netgalley
January 19, 2016 – Shelved as: knitting
January 21, 2016 –
page 130
January 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Bridget Can't wait to read this!

Melanie Bridget wrote: "Can't wait to read this!"
I'm looking forward to your review!

Anna Melanie, I enjoyed your review very much and found her trip to Iceland very funny.