Rane's Reviews > Prisoner of Desire

Prisoner of Desire by Mary Wine

1987431

bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, historical

It's been while since I read such a delicious adventure novel (pirates not-included) everything was top-notch from the plot to the characters even had a picky parrot named Lady Holly.

Lorena St. John and her sisters have lived under the icon thumb of their stepfather since the death of their mother, not Lorena is forced into a marriage set sailed to Bermuda with the hope her husband to be will be a better man then her stepfather, giving her a chance to be free. Sadly that mere hope is dashed when she finds herself betrothed to a cruel slave master. Lorena is faced with a bleak future, until perhaps by luck or fate is adducted Captain Warren Rawlins, whom slowly starts to change her outlook on those of the ship and the captain himself..

Captain Warren Rawlins used Lorena get get his brother out of the slave fortress where they were being kept. A merchant by trade along with his family, Warren can't stomach then uncalled for attack on his brothers. When he and his brothers make their escape he's left with Lorena on his hands, whom he finds has a back bone of true steel and a wit that matches his own, that raises his desire to have her at all costs before they reach the shores of the states, and Lorena's betrothed catches up to them...

Prisoner Of Desire has two strong-willed people in Warren and Lorena. Lorena forced by her step-father to become strong or break, and Warren by his life on the sea.
While the both start off on the wrong foot with one another, it quickly ignites to a sexual tension that is confined in a small space on the ship and on the sea. It's like a perfect setting to show the reader how both Warren and Lorena grow to fight,desire and grow to know one another. And these two really burn up the papers, not with just the sex, but with the sexual tension.
Warren battles with his honor not to touch Lorena, and Lorena tries to make sense of her emotions and her life, while worrying about her future and the family she left behind, and finally having the chance to be free..

Their interaction not only with one another but with those around them, were great and I adore Warren's brother, hoping we get to see more from them along with Lorena's sisters? And of course let's not forget about the cantankerous Lady Holly, the parrot whom didn't care at all for Warren, but adore Lorena!

Everything was very paced paced through the book, not only the dueling emotions between Warren and Lorena, but the unknown chase their under by the evil slave master whom wants Lorena back. The only bit I did have trouble was with Warren and Lorena not fessing up about how they felt about one another, but of course Warren zooms in to save Lorena when she's abducted, and of course saves herself, and they both get their HEA on the high seas!

Mary Wine won me over with her writing and Prisoner Of Desire on one the lookout for all her backlist, and hopes she writes sequels for Warren's brothers and Lorena's sisters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prisoner of Desire.

January 20, 2011 – Shelved
March 9, 2011 – Started Reading
March 9, 2011 – Shelved as: regency-napoleonic-era
March 10, 2011 –
March 10, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 13, 2013 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Great review, sounds good!

Rane Lisa wrote: "Great review, sounds good!"

message 3: by Nisha (new) - added it

Nisha Sounds great. I've just added it to my TBR

message 4: by Auntee (new)

Auntee This sounds pretty good--nice review Rane! Liking the pics, too!

Rane Nisha wrote: "Sounds great. I've just added it to my TBR"

It's a sexy, adventure read- with a hot captain...you can't go wrong with this book :]

Rane Auntee wrote: "This sounds pretty good--nice review Rane! Liking the pics, too!"

Thank you Auntee! I thought the pics added to the tropical/sea feel of the story and with summer on it's way ^^

message 7: by Nisha (new) - added it

Nisha I can't wait. Though I usually don't have this much trouble categorizing books - this one is nautical without pirates and I only have a shelf for pirates. Oh well, adventure, seems to cover it.

message 8: by Rane (last edited Mar 18, 2011 03:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Nisha wrote: "I can't wait. Though I usually don't have this much trouble categorizing books - this one is nautical without pirates and I only have a shelf for pirates. Oh well, adventure, seems to cover it."

I tend to make a general category on books (cause am lazzzy) using time setting, giving it more of a wider range- but adventure seems to fit :D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Rane! Love the animated beach pic!

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Rane! Love the animated beach pic!"

Thank you Jayne, added the pic as it matched up to the story but ending up loving it as it's so relaxing

message 11: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Rane! Sounds like a fun read, luckily I already had bought it!

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane MelissaB wrote: "Great review Rane! Sounds like a fun read, luckily I already had bought it!"

Thank you Melissa! Yay! Going to read it soon-ish? ;D

message 13: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Ha! I will try. I am currently reading Bedding the Enemy by her, I liked the first two books in the series. I am starting to think she has a fascination with historical clothing (she describes clothing in wayyy too much detail) and bathing in that time (she describes all the steps necessary to take a bath then).

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane MelissaB wrote: "Ha! I will try. I am currently reading Bedding the Enemy by her, I liked the first two books in the series. I am starting to think she has a fascination with historical clothing (she describes clot..."

O.o?

I didn't think taking a bath need great detail, maybe if there's a hot guy in the bathtub to...

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Love the pictures too :)