Leah's Reviews > Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free

Super Immunity by Joel Fuhrman

19293522
Oct 22, 2015

liked it

Dr Furhman wrote a great book, and while it was not an easy read, it was an informative one. He basically advocates a plant based diet, and strongly pushes a vegan diet.

What a found a little lacking was that he says we don't really need vitamins/supplements for super immunity because all we need to do is eat this combinations of fruits/veggies/plants etc., then he advocates for little to ideally no meat in the diet, but in order to completely take out meat you need to supplement to get proper nutrition! That was a little disconcerting as his whole premise of the book is to get super immunity from eating the right foods.

He does a good job on breaking down illness, modern medicine (though he knocks vitamin c, what?), flu vaccine etc. He does a good job explaining why the Standard American Diet (SAD) is so lacking and promotes eating plenty of fresh fruits and veggies etc. that are nutrient dense foods. A good encouragement to me (though I know this idea) to up my food intake to a more nutrient dense level, specifically adding more greens to our diets.

And so it is, I have mostly preferred the Weston A Price Foundation food philosophy, but I am branching out to read other ideas. My new mindset is that there is no one size fits all. Studying health is as much a rabbit hole as anything, for everyone has their opinions and studies to support how their food philosophy is gospel truth. It is best to discuss with your Doctor what will help heal your body, as we have specific issues ourselves. And I'm not talking an MD exclusively here people, there are a lot of other medically trained minds in the natural fields and schools of thought.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Immunity.

October 22, 2015 – Shelved