Camila Vilela De Holanda's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

liked it

Well, I had previously decided I would read Austen's books in the exact same order that she had written them. This decision was broken though when my eyes glanced at the first page of 'Emma', which I started reading right after 'Sense & Sensibility', and by that time my heart was already lost to Austen's style and she got me completely wrapped around her finger. I don't mean to say that 'Emma' was a bit disappointing - because that is not accurate and can be considered as a sin since we're talking classics here. I may add that it is extremely needless to point out (even though I am doing it so!) how well-written the book is and how many book marks and post-its have I placed on it! - but the truth is that I did get a little bored at some parts and got pretty annoyed by Mr. Woodhouse and Miss Bates; annoyed to the point of actually sighting whenever they appeared. Eyes rolling included and all. Of course a good book is also formed by characters we do not necessarily found ourselves fond of (if you ask me, a handful of them actually got me mad and arguing with the book in 'Sense & Sensibility'), but those two really got on my nerves and I just wanted to read those parts as fast as possible to get rid of them both already. But let's be honest: a great book is basically a bunch of pages held together that contain characters capable of stealing our hearts and making our souls dream away with their own peculiar traits and stories and habits and thoughts and manners and spirits, and that, my friend is also magically present here. You're going to see yourself on some of those characters, you're going to resonate with them by how human they actually are (Jane and her incredible ability of observing human's behaviors and feelings are, once more, wonderfully shown here!). And yes, expect very much to fall in love with Mr. Knightley's sense and decency and also with Emma's witty imagination and wonders, for we all know by now that nobody can write heroines and their lovers as Jane Austen could. Let us be thankful for her talent, since it makes our lives so much better, indeed! Definitely a good book to keep you in the best company possible for a cozy Sunday's tea or to calm your mind down during a crazy busy week: just breathe and wander through Jane Austen's singular world, she is always worth your time. Enjoy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

October 22, 2015 – Started Reading